Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Legacy rear end noise

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 aartod

aartod

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Aumsville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

My 90' legacy has been making quite a bit if noise from the rear end of the car lately... It has been making a low pitched growling noise (rar-rar-rar-rar) that increases with speed. I figured it must be a wheel bearing so I jacked it up tried to feel for any slop or play in the bearings but everything seems tight and smooth... So I checked the rear diff and the gear oil was clean and didnt smell burnt and I topped it off. The center support bearing seemed fine as far as a visual inspection goes. Could it be the rear cv joints? I have never had experience with rear ones - only fronts and its obvious when they go bad! Let me know if you have and suggestions or things for me to check and your subaru guru insights!

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,824 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

Wheel bearing.
These will make noise for thousands of miles before there is any play in the bearing.

If you pull the axle out of the hub and spin it you will feel the grinding of the bad rollers. You may be able to spin the wheel fast enough to hear the bearing make noise if you listen to the knuckle with a mechanics stethoscope.

#3 aartod

aartod

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Aumsville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Thanks, so I was reading in my manual, and it appears as if I have to have the bearings pressed off and new ones pressed on--- is this true or are there any special tricks to do this at home?

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,824 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

It can be done at home with a hub tamer kit, and a bearing splitter or large 3 jaw gear puller.
Some people just go to a junkyard and get a whole knuckle with bearing and hub and swap it.

#5 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,777 posts
  • Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

aartod - an option might be to pull the knuckles yourself, take them to the dealership or other shop to have the bearings swapped.

#6 aartod

aartod

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Aumsville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Also, will the axle slide out of the hub easily or does it need to be pounded on or require any special tools? I ordered a new bearing and want to make sure I don't run into any surprises!

#7 aartod

aartod

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Aumsville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Ahhh, I haven't hit the "buy" button just yet on the bearing... Maybe the junk yard will save me money and time!

#8 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,824 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Sometimes you actually need a hub puller to push the axle out with, but most of the time a couple good hits with a hammer will pop it loose so you can slide it out of the hub.

#9 aartod

aartod

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Aumsville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Okay, there is no need to disconnect the shaft from the diff is there? Will the pounding on the shaft damage anything in the diff or the cv shafts?

#10 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,777 posts
  • Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Okay, there is no need to disconnect the shaft from the diff is there? Will the pounding on the shaft damage anything in the diff or the cv shafts?

since the suspension is at max travel and/or you have the knuckle loose, any 'inward' force should just slide the tripod joint a little further inward. It won't be bottomed out and almost no force will be trasferred to the diff.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 30 July 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#11 aartod

aartod

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Aumsville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Good deal... Sound like I know what I'm doing this weekend! Thanks

#12 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,777 posts
  • Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

On that Impala, I started with a hammer on the turned-around axled nut after usimng some PB Blaster.

I eventually had to rent a huge gear-type puller to use on the hub and use the torch AND use the impact on the puller AND hammer on the puller. It was crazy stuck. (the first puller I had under the lug nuts, a lug nut stripped and shot around the garage and either it or the breaker bar handle hit me on the thumb - lucky I was'nt severely injured. had to buy lug nuts.. it can be frustrating working on cars)

hope yours is easier. The 2 Subarus I've done, I just pushed the axle out with my thumbs!

you might look around youtube for some videos.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 30 July 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#13 aartod

aartod

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Aumsville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

So, I just called my local junk yard and they only want $25 for a hub assembly.... Sounds like a deal to me. Does anyone have a quick list of tools I need to do this at a junk yard?- besides a big freakin hammer!

#14 aartod

aartod

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Aumsville

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

Well, I just removed my whole rear knuckle.... It went smooth and easy and the axle came out quick. The bearings are totally toast. I am thankful for being in a road salt free state!

#15 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,824 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Yeah once that axle is out and you can free spin the bearing you see just how bad the bearing really is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users