Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will WCSS be worth it for Old Gen owners?

I was excited at first to hear of the Big Northwest Subaru meet last weekend, especially since it was right near where I live. And while I had a good time being a member of the way over thirty club (all 7 of us) in a sea of twenty and unders, I found the over representation of newer gen ricerizations well a little overbearing shall I say politely. Yes, I counted a few older cars there, but they were greatly outnumbered by the "performance" cars and such.  Clearly it was an event geared towards selling the latest stuff rather than an exhibit of Subaru. That's OK in and of itself. I mean it was only a 15 min drive for me anyways.

I have never been to WCSS before but was thinking if it is the same type of thing, I might want to pass on it. I guess I envision something more of an exchange of knowledge of our Old Gen cars rather than a bragfest about which ricer has the prettiest purple turbo pipes and shiny turbochargers on their two year old vehicle.  I really am into the older stuff. Heck I drive a twenty year old car as my daily driver, so if that's not proof I don't know what is.

I would actually prefer to meet folks working on their older Subaru's, keeping them going and hear their triumphs and tragedies. That is mainly why I come here myself.  I personally feel a three hour drive for a latest generation ricerfest would be a waste of my time. Now if someone wants to meet up there and get help fixing their AC, changing a CV axle, setting the timing I am all there.  I feel more akin to folks just wanting to keep their older daily drivers running strong than new gen folks with lots of money to ricerize.  Keeping my Loyale running is more of a hobby and sentimental thing (it is my frst car bought brand new) for than a necessity for transportation. I have other vehicles but sometimes the journey is much more interesting than the destination, if you get my meaning.

Has anyone in the Old Gen crowd been to one of these before? Is it a sales convention for the latest Subaru stuff or is there a gathering where one can gain real practical knowledge that will help them repair their older gen car?

Edited by MR_Loyale

I've been to many a WCSS and I live in Southern AZ! Always a blast to hang out with fellow Suby owners. On average, I'm usually over 1400 miles from home. Last year, it was just over 1800 miles from home. But the PandaWagon made it there and back with very little trouble. :D

I totally agree with you. BNW was all new gen stuff. It was a sea of blue, black, and white WRXs. I do wish there were more old gen guys and maybe a little more variety, but I kinda expected it. Watching videos and looking at videos of past years of BNW, I only saw new gen cars. That being said, looking at past videos and pictures of WCSS (I've never been there myself) looks like a lot more old gen Soobs. Heck, the top photo on WCSS's site has three EA82s and an EA81.

Tuned new cars generally aren't my cup of tea. But I still had fun. 

I'm definitely going to WCSS. I think it's a more popular event than BNW (even though BNW's website claims it's the largest), so I think there will be more old gen guys. Like subynut, there are people driving from across the country to go to WCSS.

I think it's worth it to go to WCSS at least once. See what's up. That's what I'm gonna do.

the older subs will still be outnumbered many times over.  that said there was a few dozen older subs at the last one.  also in the mud drags and mud pit theres a lot of old school, though a few newer ones tear it up there too.  theres a separate set of awards for old school stuff, and last time it was in a separate area.  still nice to mingle and see the WRX's, and SVX's though.

you shouldn't be disappointed with the representation of the old school. 

bnw is to nasioc as wcss is to third gen and older soobs....that said ive not made it there. ive seen lots of pics. I havea family conflict this year and wont be in attendance (again). i guess im sayin its worth it for me, but i live closer than you by a couple hours or so.

You know Rob.. Sooner or later we are just going to throw you in the trunk and torment you all the way there just so you can say you have been then give you bus fare back.   

All we need is a few hours one day and you will be hooked!

I hope you get your family matters worked out. Good luck my friend

Edited by Mykeys Toy

WCSS is a Subaru pilgrimage that you need to make at least once in your life.

Once you have gone to one, you will do anything to make it again.

Over the years it has changed, but all things do. 

There is still strong Old School representation at the show and I believe it will continue that way.

I got a lot of comments on my RX at the BNW meet.

When I was headed out I was stopped by a guy that wanted to know where I got my headlights.

He said he had a 4dr RX and was quite surprised when I told him I made them.

I directed him here and to my build thread, so theres still people out there that are new to old gen stuff.

You know Rob.. Sooner or later we are just going to throw you in the trunk and torment you all the way there just so you can say you have been then give you bus fare back.   

All we need is a few hours one day and you will be hooked!

I hope you get your family matters worked out. Good luck my friend

next year is already scheduled. btw i have matters to discuss with you hit me up

and its not a bad issue, its my wifes gparents(who raised her) 50th  anniversary and gma aint doin awesome. i love those folks like my own so ill have to just whoop roast next year, no trunk needed.

Edited by Subruise