Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 BRAT Fuel pump/Disty issue?

I have an 86 BRAT and I can not get power to my fuel pump. A couple of months ago I started getting an intermittent engine noise and my tach would jump around like crazy. I figured my distributor must have problems. Now I cant get power to my fuel pump. I read out the wires to the pump and I have a solid ground and also have continuity all the way back to the fuel pump control unit on the power wire so it can't be a broken wire. When I turn the key on I can feel the fuel pump relay under the passenger seat energize so I assume that it works. There is also another relay under the seat that looks exactly the same so I'm not sure which is which. I have read that the fuel pump control unit needs a signal from the coil? ...so could a distributor problem also be causing my fuel pump power problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Might be the coil, should have 3 wires on the neg side of the coil, one to the dizzy, one to the cap, one to the tach, I don't remember the stripe color. Chech you wiring, might be the fuel pump relay, if I'm not mistaken its behind the speaker on the driver side right behind and above the fuse box.

Not that I know of. Is the pump getting power? Is the coil getting power?

My 86 brat had problems, stuttering/hiccups.  I swapped fuel pumps, new fuel filters, ect.  still ran like crap.  then I swapped coils and it fixed the problem. 

The pump is not getting power. I have it wired direct and she runs like a champ until I go up a hill or put any kind of load on it. Then it just starts missing, sputters and dies. It will start back up and idle though. I have a blaster 2 coil sitting around that I'm going to swap out when I get home. We'll see what that does.

go buy a $40 electric fuel pump and hook it up to ignition power

had this problem - if it splutters/dies under load -

the fuel pump is going out - still kind of works but not really

replaced the fuel pump and runs great

don't know how the control/relay systems works so have just bypassed it

Edited by wallaby

go buy a $40 electric fuel pump and hook it up to ignition power

had this problem - if it splutters/dies under load -

the fuel pump is going out - still kind of works but not really

replaced the fuel pump and runs great

don't know how the control/relay systems works so have just bypassed it

I would bypass it but this particular BRAT needs to stay as factory as possible. I've got three of the damn things but this ones my "sunday driver"

There is one small wire thats sheilded of the - side of coil is the tach signal to ecu is it broken or on + side ? also check diss shaft play thiss will make tach bonce and makes for not so good signals I have some diss parts

Wires looked good but I need to find a good schematic so I can read them out. The distributor didn't feel sloppy to me but i can hear the thing and feel a vibration when it acts up and the tach jumps around. it does it intermittently and it stops as suddenly as it begins.

Ordered fuel filters. I'm thinking that might be part of the problem. I'm not sure where to begin looking for a replacement disty. Any recommendations?

Edited by TIMBERTIGER

non turbo on my 81 brat i put on efi tbi setup from 87 gl instantly fixed all carb problems all diss problems and gave me 30 % more power and drivabillity a'm selling the efi brat for 2000$ has 180000kms on it deul exhuast 4 wheel discks and 15 toy rims. Anyway was faily easy to convert had to install hp pump return line modify diss gear and intake and wire harness took me two days but totaly worth it

Replaced fuel filters yesterday. No improvement :( . It has to be an ignition issue. I can only drive it about a block and then it misses a couple times and dies then wont start for a minute or so. There is still fuel in the filter when I pop the hood. Someone mentioned something about an ignition module. Is there any way I can upgrade the whole ignition system?

You have ignition module in the dizzy instead of points ?? I find if they are on their way out they tend to just give mild hiccup under load, intermiitently, then completely give up, possibly give a start once cooled down, maybe not. Had this happen twice now, each time replaced or renewed the IM $40- $45 in the US. A third time this was happening I shouted the 400,000km old coil n early retirement, renewed rather than swap in another used IM and the slight hiccup under load remained. new high tension leads for sparks and coil fixed the problem :) Have seen just one time, a dud lead cause a tacho to bounce about.....

have you cleaned the screen on the inlet needle and seat on the carb this was a problem with 84s the feul would bypass carb and return to tank if this screen is cloged can remonve the fitting and look inside with light worth checking I have been stuck on side of road from this. spark is there or not subaru ig mods were perty good not to many problems there