Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power vs. Manual rack?

Rack pad adjuster and lock nut on the diagram. The rack pad keeps a little tension on the rack itself to keep it in contact with the pinion gear

Did you check for excess play in the steering universal joint.

It was mentioned earlier but worth noting again, an unbalanced tire can cause vibrations at different speeds.

I just checked the steering linkage, it's all tight, the looseness appears to be between the pinion gear and the rack. There's an 1/8 -1/4 inch of play each way when I twist the steering. I'll try to tighten up the rack pad adjuster, though when I'm under the car I can't seem to see the thing.. Bout to go try again.. Edit: oh, now I see it.. hmm.. do i really have to drop the exhaust??

Edited by ystrdyisgone

Soo.. rookie mistake. When I was twisting the steering input shaft, the key was off, so the play was the steering lock. With the key engaged, there is not much noticeable play.

I will note though, there is play when I lift up or push down on the steering wheel. Along with this play comes a clicking noise, and feeling each time stress is put on the column (either direction)

I removed the two bolts that secure the steering column, and lowered it. Did a visual inspection, and tried to tighten the two bolts for the internal steering linkage, they were tight. Buttoned it all back up, and there's still the same amount of upward/downward play, as well as the clicking.

I had a friend lift up and down on the wheel while I held the steering linkage in the engine bay. There was little to no movement at that point, so I have it narrowed down to the column area, just not sure where to go from here.

Edited by ystrdyisgone