Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power vs. Manual rack?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 caspice

caspice

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Water

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Rack pad adjuster and lock nut on the diagram. The rack pad keeps a little tension on the rack itself to keep it in contact with the pinion gear

Did you check for excess play in the steering universal joint.

It was mentioned earlier but worth noting again, an unbalanced tire can cause vibrations at different speeds.

#27 ystrdyisgone

ystrdyisgone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • MT

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

I just checked the steering linkage, it's all tight, the looseness appears to be between the pinion gear and the rack. There's an 1/8 -1/4 inch of play each way when I twist the steering. I'll try to tighten up the rack pad adjuster, though when I'm under the car I can't seem to see the thing.. Bout to go try again.. Edit: oh, now I see it.. hmm.. do i really have to drop the exhaust??

Edited by ystrdyisgone, 05 August 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#28 ystrdyisgone

ystrdyisgone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • MT

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Soo.. rookie mistake. When I was twisting the steering input shaft, the key was off, so the play was the steering lock. With the key engaged, there is not much noticeable play.

I will note though, there is play when I lift up or push down on the steering wheel. Along with this play comes a clicking noise, and feeling each time stress is put on the column (either direction)

I removed the two bolts that secure the steering column, and lowered it. Did a visual inspection, and tried to tighten the two bolts for the internal steering linkage, they were tight. Buttoned it all back up, and there's still the same amount of upward/downward play, as well as the clicking.

I had a friend lift up and down on the wheel while I held the steering linkage in the engine bay. There was little to no movement at that point, so I have it narrowed down to the column area, just not sure where to go from here.

Edited by ystrdyisgone, 06 August 2013 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users