Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AC Compressor Replacement

AC Compressor R12

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dhoch14

dhoch14

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • PDX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

So my "newish" 1992 Legacy Wagon had the AC compressor start clicking in January. I had the shop disconnect the compressor so I could use the rear defogger without the noise of the failing compressor.

Well, summer is here and I love road trips and don't really care for back sweat. The girlfriend has given me a choice, fix the AC or get a new car. :)

Any recommendations? I've read that converting from a R12 to R134A is about a $1k. Ouch!!!

Cheers!

-d

#2 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • canada

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

d,

Check around. You may well find a replacement compressor online through eBay or through various wreckers. They are out there. You'll just have to find one.

As for the cost of changing over the refridgerant, its no where near the cost that you've been quoted. I had my 1990 Nissan 300ZX changed over about 10 years ago at an independent garage and the cost was less than $300 for evacuating the system and recharge with the 134a. That of course was on a system that was in excellent condition to begin with.

#3 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

1- I think I saw someone comment on this board that you could basically run r134a in a r12 system with very few changes. (Hopefully someone can chime in to that effect). You should be able to fairly easily change the High/Low fittings, since they're different sizes.

2- Even so, if you don't mind getting a bit dirty - http://www.ultimates...n-r12-to-r134a/

Just need to buy or have a shop pull a vacuum on the system.

Edit: Changed link to Legacy777 USMB write-up post. :)

Edited by nickb21, 30 July 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,889 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

they don't fail often so used is a great option - $25 - $40.

www.car-parts.com

conversion is easy.  lots of information online about it, people have been doing it for years.  it requires basically nothing.  empty old stuff, fill with 134a.  the only question is one of oils - they say some oils aren't compatible or whatever, it's been awhile since i've done it but lots of folks have converted without doing much of anything. 

google will be your friend here. favor the more simple versions.  the internet is generally flooded with commentary and scare talk - look for the simple options, there's not much to it.

#5 dhoch14

dhoch14

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • PDX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

maybe this is silly, however, couldn't I simply get a used compressor and have a certified shop install it with new old stock of R12?

#6 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm sure you could. I would throw out a guess that the cost of the compressor + HC-12 fill (or whatever refrigerant they use), would be about the same as the conversion.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,889 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

maybe this is silly, however, couldn't I simply get a used compressor and have a certified shop install it with new old stock of R12?

you just asked if you can get a shop to fix your car?  maybe it's 1am and i need to go to bed, but thats funny.  if something breaks on a car, yes you can pay a shop to fix it.  some places install customer supplied parts, some do not, and some say they will but dislike it.

#8 jkinz

jkinz

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Arcata California USA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

If you still need a compressor, I've got two. One I know for sure was working great before I had the refrigerant drained and removed it, the other I didn't test first but it was charged up too. I was planning on using them as air compressors, but I'd gladly sell you one or both. I believe the one out of my car was using R12, but the other may have been converted. Not sure what that involves since I don't do AC and as far as I thought, they were more or less interchangeable, but I'm probably wrong on that.

#9 dhoch14

dhoch14

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • PDX

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hey Nick,

Yah, it's probably the 1AM piece that through you off. I suggested a shop b/c R12 purchasing requires an EPA card, which shops have. According to my recent CL research, card is required to buy R12 locally. 

I'll research my options and see what can happen.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users