Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting an H6 to 5 speed

su-version

Good luck! It's not going to be an easy road. Granted, you can bolt everything together but the computers will not be happy. ECU will be looking for 3 different signals from the TCU and without them, prompt a CEL.

Well don't go anywhere. You sound like you know your stuff and I certainly don't. :wacko: I had hoped to avoid most of this by swapping out all of the wiring & ECU from the donor. Using what I can, cutting out the rest. Hopefully unrelated codes can be flashed out?? BTW,   :ph34r:   this is all going into an old Porsche. Even the donor car's steering wheel. I know. Wrong forum for this. Just got off on a tangent.

Good luck! It's not going to be an easy road. Granted, you can bolt everything together but the computers will not be happy. ECU will be looking for 3 different signals from the TCU and without them, prompt a CEL.

There must be some way around this - I got a JDM manual EZ30 Legacy in at the auction house the other day direct from Japan. They do exist, so there must be a manual TCU out there that can handle the EZ30.

Shuld have specified, all Subarus with a flat 6 EXCEPT the XT6, had an automatic transmission coupled from the factory available in the US. I have seen the manual 3.0 overseas but nothing that was offered here.

I have seen guys do the swap into VWs and an XT6 but I believe there is a bit of a tuning issue when the engine computer waits for a signal from the transmission computer for a shift point. Im not entirely sure how it was handled using a stock ECU but if I were doing the swap myself, I would be running a MegaSquirt 3 box.