Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After fixing my t-belt, and re-doing my harness for swap into my 87 rx, It will start up perfect and run for about 5 seconds, then stall. If I touch the throttle it stalls. and It will not start at all if I give it any throttle. Theres no codes except when I unplugged some sensors and such to se iff running would change and it doesnt. No new codes if I reset ecu. Im pretty confident in the harness as I've done them before.

The thing I look at first is my IACV hose, it's hooked up good and the same as it's always been, I don't have a fuel pressure testor, but i'm assuming it has enough since it pushes through the regulator, I also pinched the return to spike the pressure to the max the fuel pump out puts.

I switched ecus, nothing, pulled a plug, looked at spark, it looks good even when it starts stalling.

I took an LED and hooked up to an injector plug to kinda moniter the pulse and it looks like good solid blinks until it starts stalling, it faints to very light blinks like it's leaning it.

If I crack the throttle the blinks goes almost non-existent

so it appears that it is stalling because the injectors are leaning fuel until it stalls??

I tried reading the plugs, but it's kinda difficult since it wont run long enough.

As much as I dislike this I used some starting fluid and It kept it running for a lot longer too.

I also played with the IACV with the top off and turned by hand and it stays running just as long when I adjust it by hand

Unplugging the MAF connector makes NO difference either

Sounds like a massive post-MAF air leak. Reminds me exactly of a swap I did when I first started it up and didn't have the IAC hose hooked up at all.

Sounds like you've done some excellent diagnosis. What has happened since this engine ran well? You mention fixing your timing belt...was this after the swap? Did it run well before the timing belt job? What wiring issues did you fix?

Also....what engine? EJs have been made for more than 20 years. It'd be nice to narrow that down a bit....

X2, Sounds like a post MAF air leak. An air leak would cause a low reading from the MAF, which would propmt the ECU to lean out the mixture to obtain proper A/F ratio.

Did you check the valve cover breather hoses where they attach to the intake tube? How about the one that goes to the PCV Y fitting?

Is the large hose that goes down to the fitting on the block fitted properly?

its a 92 ej22e, I turboed it, have about 5k on this specific motor, a few days ago I had a no start situation, looked at t-beltl, it was tight, I didn't think it would even have a chance to slip, so I re-did my swap harness since this was my first harness and it wasn't all neat, it was kinda dangling by my feet, and was tacky looking, I thought maybe a wire chaffed idk, but I redid this, then found the t-belt skipped about 5-teeth, so I reset with a different tensioner.

I have had the MAF off since, but its hooked up again and I looked all over for potential leaks, I'll look more though

I Know it's not proper, but my pcv isn't hooked up, but it always ran before.

My IACV just has a short hose going to the intake tube right before the compressor on the turbo, the maf is Attached to that. My hoses are pretty basic right now.

Also the more the vaccum leak (except throttling it) the "better" it seems to run, maybe just a little longer.

In the past though I've been able to disconnect the MAF connector and it would stay running, just poorly, This time it doesn't help.

I Know it's not proper, but my pcv isn't hooked up, but it always ran before.

this is EXACTLY what will cause this issue in a standard 90 - 99 ej22 or ej25 car.

or more correctly, the large hose that connects the IAC on the intake to the underside of the air plenum.

big hole.

the pcv also ties in to this hose.

what intake plenum are you using?

either plug it (?????) or connect it (best).