Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last year Dual Range Wagon made?

I can't seem to get a clear answer looking on the web, but what was the last year the dual range, 5-spd Wagon was made. I just saw someone on the list say none of the Loyales were. If so what was the last GL that was?

The frame rail rot on my 86 wagon, may be too far gone, so I'm gonna look for a replacement. I've only had this thing a little less than a year and it's had all kinds of problems, BUT it gives me the grins to drive it, and protects me from Predatory NJ State troopers, because I'm never goin fast enough to speed! icon12.gif

Cheers,

Gareth

i would say 89, since that was the last year for GL. i myself had an 88 gl wagon dual range. 89 gl-10's all were full time with lsd's, but i dont think there is a dual range full time besides the RX, as a standard option anyway....

an 85 or 86 i have been told are the best for off roading with their gearing.

How does the mileage compare between a Part-time dual-range and a full time? I like being able to run in FWD and switch in the AWD when neccesary and the LOW AWD only when absoluely neccesary. The 88 can be gotten as a fuel injected model can't it?

Cheers,

Gareth

Don't think the mileage difference is that great.. I just switched from Part time single range to Full Time single range and haven't noticed a big difference in mileage

However, you will never switch from 2wd to AWD at the push of a button.. you might switch from 2wd to 4wd though.;)

And the 88 (EA82) can only be had in a fuel injected model in the US

1989 GL D/R 5 spd wagon was available, got one myself...

Oop.. sorry for the misinformation. Learn something new every day.

What's the Turbo-Lag like on your Turbo Wagon? How's driveability "off" boost?

Lag isn't bad.. will probably be better when i get the BPV plumbed in.

Off boost?.. don't know, never tried it;)

Seriously though.. driveability is fine.. it has a little surge at low speeds when not in boost, but it did that even when the motor was stock and hooked up to a 2wd 3AT in my other wagon...

Yes, they have the same clearance as a GL. They're the exact same car, just not as glitzy. Black bumpers and trim, cheaper interior fabrics, less interior lights, no dual range tranny, no alloy wheels, etc. Also... 1990 is the only year that Loyales were offered with turbo.