Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brat bed trim plastic pieces(3D printing?)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Speedwagon

Speedwagon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Subaru, to my knowledge, doesn't sell them anymore.  All the current ones are very brittle.

I have access to a 3D printer, that prints parts in ABS plastic.  Would this be a good way to make new ones?  If so, would people here be willing to buy some?  And would someone be willing to turn the current part into a file I can use(I'm no good with CAD and such)?

#2 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

I would be willing to buy a set.

I would love to do the CAD thing but I don't know the first thing about the program.

In the mean time I will put out the word to see if I can find anybody in my circle that might know the program.

Edited by Dinky26, 31 July 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#3 greg454

greg454

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • aurora. co

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

I bought a new set from subaru about 3 years ago when I redid mine. They could still order them then.

Greg.

#4 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 897 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Ther are no tailgate trim pieces left, and they were made of tin, not plastic. How would they warp? I'm a bit confused on that one... :unsure:

Edited by skishop69, 06 August 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#5 greg454

greg454

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • aurora. co

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Ther are no tailgate trim pieces left, and they were made of tin, not plastic. How would they warp? I'm a bit confused on that one... :unsure:

I wasn't talking about the trim itself. I mean the little plastic blocks that go under the trim that the trim screws to.

#6 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

What site did you find those on cause I haven't seen any that are available.

#7 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 897 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

Those pieces are still avaiable from Subaru. At least they were about a year ago when I ordered mine. Weren't may left IIRC. Wouldn't be a bad idea though. They break easily even when new. The plastic composition wasn't that good back then.

#8 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

i might be. what would a rough estimate be for a whole set?

#9 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

I've got a request into my local Subaru parts shop. I'll let you know when I find something out.

#10 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

When I had my Brat painted the last time about 5 years ago I pulled the metal trim on mine. Several blocks were broken and fell to pieces trying to reinstall. I cut wooden wedges and coated with a fine coat of marine adhesive caulking and tapped into place. That has worked great for the last 5 years and counting.

#11 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

any updates on this?

#12 bendecker

bendecker

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • Lakeside, CA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

I just used some thin polypropylene plastic, cut them into small squares, pre-drilled them, didn't even tap them, just screwed right into them with a power screw driver. They work great.

#13 SuperBrat

SuperBrat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • north idaho

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

There were over 150 pieces still for sale from Subaru just out of Portland about 4 months ago for around 2.00 each..........

#14 yeoldecycleshoppe

yeoldecycleshoppe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cedaredge, CO

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

Hey y'all, this is a weird way to introduce myself, but the subject "3D printing" caught my eye and I think I can help you out if you're interested.  I don't have a printer, but I am a CAD guy and have several programs on my computer.  Looks like Speedwagon is fairly close to me (5 hours or so).  If you, or anyone on the forum has one of these trim pieces in good condition, you can send it to me and I'll model it in CAD, then send you the file for printing.

I was just cruising the forum for info on these old Subarus as I've always thought they were cool and find myself needing a back up vehicle while I work on my truck for a while.  Then I found this on CL near my neighborhood:

http://westslope.cra...4045458706.html

Any reason I shouldn't go get it?  (If it's still available, need to call them tomorrow)

This seems like a really cool forum.  I might hang around even if I don't get the wagon.  Creating old obsolete parts would be fun.

#15 pressingonward

pressingonward

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Battle Ground

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

You're talking about 3d printing the little clips that hold the chrome trim onto the edges of the bed rails, correct?

Does anyone have a picture of the clip they can post? I'm curious what they look like, and I don't want to pull the trim off my BRAT to find out. I would think you'd be able to go to a body shop supply store and get a box of generic clips that will do the job.

I've worked with 3D printers a decent amount, and a clip printed from ABS should work fine as long as it doesn't take a large amount of deflection to clip the trim on. ABS is a somewhat brittle material, and it's even more brittle when 3D printed, but still usable. Definitely stronger than the material we use in the stereolithography printer at my work.

I could also model the part in CAD for the OP if need be.

#16 yeoldecycleshoppe

yeoldecycleshoppe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cedaredge, CO

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Also, if you're printing in ABS, make sure you can print in black as it is the most UV stable for outdoor use.  Shapeways does a good job of quick turnaround on printed parts, and they do a number of different materials, including stainless steel.  I have used their "strong plastic" on several parts and it has a lot of give which may work better for a snap-in piece like this trim clip seems to be.

pressingonward, what do you do?  It's always fun to find another CAD geek.  I am an Industrial Designer, used to work for a sports equipment manufacturer in MI, then moved to CO a year ago and now work from home.  (I don't want to hijack this thread, message me any reply)

#17 Bantum

Bantum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

I think these are what you are looking for :

http://www.ausubaru....&pictureid=1802

Attached File  Trim Clips.jpg   7.1K   22 downloads

Edit : this image is from Steptoe on AUSubaru :

http://www.ausubaru....ght=brumby trim

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum, 02 April 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#18 REXSPEEDWORTHY

REXSPEEDWORTHY

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Independence

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

I used the eye end of a black rubber stretch strap. Cut it so it just barely removes the eye. They taper down already. Cut a smll notch at the top of the taper. You may have to taper it even more. Keep trimming till you can cram it in the hole. That notch will allow it tosnap into place. No need for a pilot hole drilled, for these screws go right in and expand the rubber for an even tighter fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users