Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Hi Perf. Parts

Hello All, Although a new poster I have been reading this board for some time now.

I am currently building up an EA82T motor, (2 in fact, I like to have a spare) to be fitted to a Speedway Midget (dirt track) Down Under in Australia. Before I go to the trouble and expense of custom made one off parts, I thought I should ask on this board if there is anywhere I can buy (off the shelf), Forged Pistons, Quality Con Rods and either Quality Hydraulic (self adjusting) Lifters or a Solid Lifter conversion kit. I thought my best chance may be in the USA and as it happens, I will be traveling to the USA within the next 3 weeks on vacation. Should any of these parts be available I could pick them up whilst in the US. Any help will be much appreciated.

Yeah, I always thought Austrelia was where all the good stuff was!!

A stock EA82 turbo engine is fairly adequete as is, IMO. Personally, I don't know that I would do any internal mods that would make it run hotter than it already does. I would probably focus on exhaust, ignition and possibly fuel, if your goal is to squeeze more HP.

Otherwise, you might get some opinions from machine shops. I don't think availability of universal-type aftermarket engine parts will be problem. The most critical thing is to match the internal components appropriately (in the context of the system as whole). You may discover that MANY more parts will need replaced than originally anticipated.

It can certainly be done, but you will need to decide if the costs of doing this are justifiable in terms of increased performance.

good luck, John

Denco Engineering in Christchurch, over here in New Zealand made up some forged pitons for my EA82T a year or two back. Weren't too badly priced @ $NZD1500.00 for 4. They are quite noisy, and have a very short skirt, got a good knocky knarly sound them.

Solid lifter are no good unless you are looking to make huge HP, and high revs, the std ones will do. Also, the solid one"s (I have a set from my last engine) take such a long time to adjust, esp when then engine is in the car and they aren't right. they are a real pain to get right.

cheers

simon

Welcome Ausspeed,

A couple things come to mind For pistons and rods check these guys

http://www.paeco.com/

pretty $$$$ but they sell forged pistons, quality con rods etc. They have a lame website but I bet a phone call could get you some answers. I have their most recent catolog and could do some research for you if you like..

Not on your list but a lot of us EA82T guys are putting reground cams in our beasts they are done by Delta Camshaft

http://www.deltacam.com

Search around here for performance EA82 threads, it's becoming a hot topic. And do keep us posted on what you come up with.

garner