Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scantool or scan software for 2008 Impreza and 1998 Legacy

Hello everyone,

I posted this in another forum and did not get a response since I may have posted it in the wrong place. Any chance anyone out there has some recommendations for me?

I have a 2008 Impreza and would like to know what hand held scan tool would

be recommended for this vehicle. I need something that will reset the check

engine light as well as diagnose any issues with the car. I really do not want to spend a fortune on this.

I also would like to know about software that could make your laptop into a scan

tool. I have a KKL VAG-COM 409.1 OBD 2 II USB Diagnostic Cable but do not have

any software as of yet. My laptop has Windows 7 on one partition and Ubuntu on

the other. I am more familiar with Windows but would take a stab at working

with Linux software. I also do not want to spend a fortune on this since I am

working on my own vehicles. Free software would be nice but if the software is

really good I would spend up to a hundred dollars for it.

I found this software but it looks like it has not been worked on in about

three years.   http://developer.ber...elease_id=17584

Does anyone know anything about this or something similar?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Codereader.com has several good handheld scanners which all work well with Subarus. The more expensive ones that read ABS codes will NOT read Subaru ABS system codes. Use their website to research their scanners then search the model number on Amazon and you'll find most of them for about half of the retail price.

For a cheaper option, look into the Torque app for android phones. You just need a Bluetooth enabled OBD2 adapter, usually only $15 or so on eBay.

As for PC software there are some options that use the cable you have, Romraider is one but I'm not sure what kind of support they have for newer models. Another is Evoscan, but again, I'm not sure of their support for your particular Subaru. You'll want to do some researching on the performance oriented Subaru forums such as RS25 and NASIOC. Google is handy for searching out any leads you may get from those.

A few members here (Brus Brother for one) have used RomRaider and may be able to offer some help about that program.

Regardless of the software or scanner you use, probably the best you will be able to do is scan Check Engine Light related diagnostic codes.

I'm not aware of any current software that supports TCU, TCS, ABS, or SRS code scanning on Subaru vehicles except for Subaru SSMIII, which is very expensive to obtain.

Reading codes for those systems is best done by the "secret handshake" methods for each system.

I was looking into that FreeSSM app a little while back and it looks pretty cool. Like you said though, hasn't been updated in a while. It does say it supports up to MY2009, so it should work fine, I would think. Plus you already have that cable (so no additional cost).

There is a long thread about FreeSSM on another forum - subaruoutback.org I think.

Edit: thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/39426-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html

Looks like your '98 might fall short for that program.

Edited by nickb21
  • Like 1

I have used my VAG-COM cable/software to read codes on 97'S and my wifes 2008 outback.

Also to check O2 voltages and wave forms. Can look at fuel trims etc.

But I have a licensed true VAG-COM cable.

I think you can still download the freeware version of software from Ross Tech, no support though. Nothing to loose if you already have a cable.

There were a couple of posts here with links to an open source accessing program targeted for Subarus. Links are bookmarked at home though.

Edit to Add: Use your favorite search for ROMraider, as mentioned above in Fairtax's post.

Edited by gregB

+1 RomRaider for free software to use with your VagCom cable.

Before that I bought an Autel 300 for about $20 on ebay. Simple wired code reader that also would erase codes, turn off CEL and indicate status of systems after reset (to pass emmissions testing).

Edited by brus brother