Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 and Weber connections

Yes, I have searched exhaustively.....

I still feel like I am in the dark.

I got my Weber DGEV 32/36 yesterday and want to rip the Hitachi off but I am unsure what goes where and what gets capped off, etc...  Reading through countless posts I see different routing techniques and setups.

So I need some help from you all.  On an EA71 what do I take off the intake manifold and cap? What do I do for the PCV routing?  What remains for the charcoal canister setup?

I am pleased that the Weber literally has 2 hook ups but the rest has me puzzled and I am sad to say that, lol.

Any help please and thanks.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

if your still doing this...............or havent already.

You need an adaptor plate and they are hard to find unless you know somebody. i found one on e-bay.

the only hoses you need is the distributor advance. the rest you can cap off, loop or whatever plugs them. I took the front off the routing plate under the carb and direct mounted it with a gasket and silicone.

there is one little hose coming from the passenger firewall if it is an A/C car. place it directly on the intake manifold.

there are three hoses coming from the fuel tank lines. The fuel of couse, the return line and the vacum line. the vaccum can be placed on the intake.

the fuel return can be plugged or if you want to you can drill out the fitting slot on the carburator top and insert the proper size tube and run the return line....or just plug it.

you may have to use the cable linkage quartermoon from your carb as the webers usually come with a direct lever type linkage which has snapped my acc. cables. The cuved type gives the cable a more steady cradleing effect and even retreival into the cable casing as you accelerate.

I hope this helps.

I went with a non-kit Weber DGEV (electric choke) and the Redline adapter plate.  I finally got everything routed properly and after some electrical issues she has been running great.   Well running great except for an occasional afterfire, lol.

I used the Hitachi linkage with some washers for the throttle.  Works great.

She seems to have a bit more power but the cool factor is the sound when the second barrel opens up.  Sounds like a V8, lol.

surprisingly the stock hitachi on the wagon did awesome exept for cold starts. i found a weber on local CL and put it on...power felt the same but improved on starts and overall idling.

That ea71 was built though and had some balls. I dont think the carb makes much difference on a well built engine.

I was thinking of finding a single range 4wd and do the build with that engine but the dual range does so much better in sticky situations.

my ea81 is built solid and i am happy.

I wish there were old school subie folks out her to sell the ea71engine to.