Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remanned driveshaft: good, bad, or ugly?

My brand new-to-me 05 Outback has recently eaten its driveshaft and carrier bearing for lunch. Nasty vibrations all over the speed range and everything. Good times!

Now, of course I don't really want to spend a king's ransom getting the car fixed so I'd like to know if anyone here has installed used or re manufactured driveshafts? 

car-part.com doesn't show any used units in my province but My garage cited this place as a source:
 http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/Subaru_Outback_Driveshaft_2005.php

They say drive shafts have a year warranty,  so if it isn't going to be good one should know before 12 months is up, especially in a DD.      Just saying.

I am bookmarking them for my future use personally, even though they don't have a CV axle for my Brat. :(

They say drive shafts have a year warranty,  so if it isn't going to be good one should know before 12 months is up, especially in a DD.      Just saying.

I am bookmarking them for my future use personally, even though they don't have a CV axle for my Brat. :(

if you really want a subaru replacement http://www.subarupartsamerica.com/parts/1985/SUBARU/BRAT/GL/?siteid=216122&vehicleid=1267747&section=FRONT%20DRIVE%20AXLE some stuff is way over priced and some is not like the tail lights $28 shipped if i remember right

That was what I was thinking too... might be worth a shot.

You might be able to find a more local driveshaft rebuilder who can replace the u joints and Carrier Bearing cheaper.

I've bought used driveshafts before (u-pull-it type junkyards) and haven't had any problems, but that can be a crap-shoot.

Sadly we don't have u-pull-it yards here. We only have they-pull-it-and-multiply-the-price-by-300% ones.

I don't know of any local rebuilders in this area.... I'm kind of out away from lots of stuff.

driveshafts fail so rarely and are so easy to replace that i'd never buy new, complete waste of time.  on a car that new particularly, a used shaft should be in excellent condition.

all of the yards ship - find one on car-parts.com and have it shipped.  phone call and then it's at my door step, no driving, waiting, lines.

I don't know what part of the country you live, but in oregon (Portland) there is a shop called drivelines inc. and they do a excellent job.... I had a custom drive shaft for a old bmw 2002 made there. Check em out- maybe ship it!