Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

clutch not declutching?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

Fully retarded and low on compression

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

I took the dog out to the beach for a run earlier today, its about a 15 mile trip out there and as i downshifted to swing into the carpark my ute crunched into second (never done that before) about the time i i found out that the clutch wasn't declutching....peddle on the floor and still driving as though i wasn't touching the peddle.

clutch cable isn't broken and the peddle feels weird almost like the clutch diaphragm spring has inverted

got to pull it apart tomorrow night after work....i'll just have to bomb around in my work truck until i can get it sorted

#2 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,970 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

Probably a broken clutch fork.

#3 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

well the clutch fork is ok....one of the spring clips that holds the throw out bearing to the clutch fork is broken but i can't see how that would stop the clutch from working...didn't get time to pull the pressure plate and clutch plate off the flywheel but a quick look doesn't show anything obvious from the outside....the saga will continue tomorrow night if i finish work early enough to get some work done on it

#4 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,970 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

Had a '79 Dodge Omni, similar clutch set up with the clutch disc recessed in the flywheel..

Clutch disc shattered, loose bits wedged in with un-broken parts and wedged the clutch so it was always engaged.

That was a 1st for me.

#5 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

yeah actually something like that is pretty high on my list of suspicions

#6 BoxerRebellion

BoxerRebellion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

If the peddle went to the floor, I'm willing to bet it's the fork. Even if it isn't visible from the top. I've had that happen before to on a '91 Legacy.

Have you tried gear meshing at the right RPMs? Starting cars in 1st gear is always a treat.

#7 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

check ball pivot on fork for exess wear and buy new spring clip for backside of fork

#8 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

the peddle didn't go to the floor like a broken cable or clutch fork would allow

i found the problem....one of the four damping spring's on the clutch plate had come out when the bent lip of steel that retains it broke off....the damping spring had come out into the diaphragm spring and that blocked the pressure plate from retracting on one side.

the other springs on the clutch plate are also on the point of coming free as the lips that retain them are quite badly chewed up....not quite sure what has caused this.....one thing i can think of is a small misalignment between the engine and the gearbox that is making the clutch damping springs work all the time the engine is running....the other thing i thought of is that i am running a EA82T clutch setup behind a EJ22 and the extra torque might have something to do with it

Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby, 07 August 2013 - 02:49 AM.

#9 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

No perty normal for springs to take a beating try a legacy clutch plate in it has larger springs

#10 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

No perty normal for springs to take a beating try a legacy clutch plate in it has larger springs

right.....a legacy plate i will go a-hunting

#11 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,391 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

if you don't have legacys there the than it is a liberty.

#12 BoxerRebellion

BoxerRebellion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Nice work @LPGsuperchargedBrumby.

#13 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

got it all back together and running....legacy clutch disc installed and new throwout bearing and pilot bearing....using the old pressure plate as that was undamaged.

note to anyone replacing the clutch on an EJ with an RX FT4WD DR box....pull the motor NOT the g/box, it would be alot less grief...it took about 4 attempts to get the gearbox spline to mate into the clutch spline....all while under the vehicle on my back laying in the gearbox oil that poured out when i removed the rear driveshaft.....lol i'm going to stink of spirax for weeks.

if i have to do it again i will be pulling the motor for sure

#14 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

I have a stub shaft from old driveshaft put it in no leaks and turn in gear to line up i just used the end as a plug save hours and no oil drain nessasary

#15 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,054 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I have a stub shaft from old driveshaft put it in no leaks and turn in gear to line up i just used the end as a plug save hours and no oil drain nessasary

+1

#16 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

hmmm i have a old bent driveshaft too.....i'll cut the end off it after work tomorrow and 'put on the shelf just in case'

#17 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Smart and cheap the subaru way !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users