Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you have the 88 GL (had to look at your profile) then you should have an EA82

I did my lifters with the engine still in the car... need to pull the valve covers off (might as well replace the seals and grommets while youre in there), remove the cam tower (and get some RTV to reseal those when you put it back together... pull the rocker arms (pretty important to keep these marked on cardboard as to where they went... lifters sometimes just pop out but might need slight help but they should pop out none-the-less, just be gentle... Then send them in to be rebuild... IIRC Mizpah is like $5 a lifter or $8 if you wanna just buy theirs.

Edit: $4.50 if they rebuild yours, $6 to buy theirs -- Link -- http://mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm

When installing, use some assembly lube to hold the rocker arms to the lifters (you don't want them to fall) Then use Ultra Grey RTV (or equivalent sealant) and put it on the cam carrier, use torque specs of course, youll want to go to a dealer for the cam-tower O-rings, and while its off, clean the cam-tower of the oil residue and use a small toothpick (or equivalent) to clean the oil passages and reassemble... Using new seals and grommets would be wise.

Since you have oil pressure issues with the TOD, Id also recommend replacing your oil pump or at least the mickey mouse seal and O-rings.

what symptoms do you have that require it?  they generally last the life of the car unless they have like 200,000+ miles and/or have been abused.

if they're simply ticking then the most likely culprit or solution is the oil pump:
1.  reseal the oil pump

2.  replace the oil pump with a new one

*sometime if you're short on time and don't want to do the job twice it's simplest to just jump to #2

for more info: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/136547-ea82-er27-ticking-tod-hydraulic-valve-lash-hla-noise-diagnose-and-repair/

if you still want to play with them you can:

1. rebuild them youself - disassemble, clean, reassemble.  the top retainers are old, brittle, and prone to crack when prying/removing so tread carefully.  i've done it but consider it a waste of time when you can do this:

2. buy them for like $5 http://www.mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Next month I will be doing head gaskets. I will be so far into the engine that replacing the lifters would be easy. But they are not ticking. Should I just go ahead and do it as preventative maintenance? Not worried about the cost so much as Murphy's Law of fixing something that ain't broken.  Of course after 20 years and 150K miles, it might be best. 

they're only like $3 - $7 each from Mizpah so if you're not worried about cost then that's your call.

as said - they're good for the life of the car if you change oil properly and when you have issues:

1.  reseal the oil pump

2.  replace the oil pump

once you reseal the engine you'll have new cam carrier orings too, make sure you get the metal reinforced variety for the two lower corner orings.  they are not regular orings as is installed in some early 85/86 EA82's.

if the car has a long unknown history or questions maybe it's a good replacement time.

if you've put a ton of well maintained and quiet miles on it then they're unlikely to have issues.

totally doable but i dislike replacing the HLAs, cleaning up the cam carriers and reinstalling them with the rocker arms, i hate that job.  so i can see erring towards doing it now while it's apart too!

Edited by grossgary

they're only like $3 - $7 each from Mizpah so if you're not worried about cost then that's your call.

as said - they're good for the life of the car if you change oil properly and when you have issues:

1.  reseal the oil pump

2.  replace the oil pump

once you reseal the engine you'll have new cam carrier orings too, make sure you get the metal reinforced variety for the two lower corner orings.  they are not regular orings as is installed in some early 85/86 EA82's.

if the car has a long unknown history or questions maybe it's a good replacement time.

if you've put a ton of well maintained and quiet miles on it then they're unlikely to have issues.

totally doable but i dislike replacing the HLAs, cleaning up the cam carriers and reinstalling them with the rocker arms, i hate that job.  so i can see erring towards doing it now while it's apart too!

No unknown history with this engine. Every single one of the 150K miles is mine.  I have owned the car since new. Dealer did first timing belt at 60K, then I did the next at 117K and then I also did cam seals, new water pump, new Subaru oil pump, clutch, rear main seal and of course idlers for timing belt. Folks said I should have done the HG at the time(2008 I think) but it was my first timing belt and I was unsure of myself. I pulled the engine and had my mechanic for life father hovering over me lecturing me on how I was going to wreck the engine when I took off the timing belt.  He'd never seen a Subaru and didn't quite get when I told him it was a non-interference engine. Showed him though when it started up the first time.

I built a tool to compress the spring in position so can slip follower out and change lifter without teardown sitting in my tool box unused for 6 years now

pic of this tool?

3 followers fell out of my XT6 after a headgasket job

Edited by grossgary