Ultimate Subaru Message Board

77 wagon voltage regulator ?'s

ok so i have a 77 wagon everything is still stock motor/electrical wise, the voltage regulator went out and fried all of my lights! if i install a internally regulated alternator do i still need a new external voltage regulator? do i have to jump any wires or leave it there? someone also said about upgrading to a solid state regulator.

thanks in advance for any help! this is my first old vehicle!

post-48910-0-88011300-1375729362_thumb.png

yes it does run. it blew the fuseable link off the battery so it was replaced with a inline fuse and it runs fine till that fuse blows. i have to have the plug on the back of the alternator unplugged and it wont blow but with that plugged in it will idle for a few minutes then start popping and shorty after die.

Edited by stanced77

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds to me like regulator is definately shot. I got mine at o'rileys for about 20 bones...has to be ordered. I bridged the resistor underneath  about 3/8" with a peice of wire and got it to run14 volts instead of the 10 it hd been producing.

I have wanted to go with an internal regulator unit but do not want the hassle of re-wiring everything. sucks cuz everything is hard wired through the regulator. maybe some day ...... alot of better alternators to choose from.

you need to cut the plug off your old v/r and make 3 conections. connect the white and white, the white/black and the white/red, the black/white and the blue, and the external ground. Then your new alternator you just need to hook the sense and lamp wires up! to find what ones those were i just went to oriellys website and looked at the alternator i had, in the pictures they show what wires are on the plug for that alternator! mines from a 97 eclipse gst