Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

89 D/R Ej22 swap

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think the-5 temperatures might have something to do with it not warming up. :ph34r:  I installed cardboard in from of the a/c condenser and it took 45 min of hard mountain driving to get the car up to temp and idle down to 700. But this thing rips up snowy roads! 4low has a great 2nd gear. All in all it's fun to drive and when it gets ac it won't be overheating at all.

Edited by snofool, 06 December 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#52 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

One more axel and it already clicks. Boo napa. I guess I will buy some subaru axels. I don't even have the front lift on anymore. I'm running impreza AGX struts w/o lift blocks. Maybe one inch lift. I was going to lower the engine, but it seems I do not have room with the radiator fans and the power steering wheel. I might get an inch if i'm lucky. So many hurdles, so I will run it as is for now. I also need to align the rear passengers tire. The minike special is just that, special. It still takes special attention while driving. Torque steer in 2wd. And the car drives the same, has a good pull to the right. They did manage to get my steering wheel to look straight. I'm sure it will be ok but it's anoying me so I will see what else or whom else I know that can help me fix this. On dirt it's great. On the highway it's terrible. Especially in grooves. In the future I would not 5lug again. Mostly because of the driveline issues (axels). And the difficulty getting the correct fit. I have not gone the custom route yet but I might if this one fails too quickly.

#53 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

The first road trip to california will start on wednsday. 1000+ miles. We will see if the napa axels hold up. I know she will run cool. It will be 80 deg in phoenix. Here's to the adventure.  Good thing I haven't used my aaa this year.

#54 armedequation

armedequation

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • rocky mountains

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

Where in co you at? if you ever come up to estes drop me a line!

I have a 90 loyale (lt. Dan) and a gl-10 (bubba) . plus you can test it out driving through glen haven. Lt dan was first vehicle out of fox creek/north fork after the flood. Had to use the atv trail to get out.

Your sube is lookin good!
t

#55 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

First oil change @ 93000 give or take and the first road trip proving well so far. I need to upgrade rear suspension to match the quality of the front. It would be nice to have the fans on a relay as well so they would kick on and off when needed. 3500 mi and counting on the swap so far. it's more fun at sea level for sure.

#56 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

G'day mate,

To hook up the fans to make them ECU controlled you need to use plug F47, wire 17.  This is an earth switched wire, same as the stock EA radiator thermo switch.  You can wire it straight into that factory wiring if you've got your fans hooked into that, just make sure it's NOT on the earth wire side of the radiator switch ;)

With the ECU controlling the thermo fans they should switch on and off as needed.  If they're on all the time you need a new temp sensor - the brown plug, two wire unit on the coolant crossover pipe under the intake manifold - it's a PITA to get to!

I'm still working on my radiator situation too.  Your setup looks neat - I personally wouldn't worry about it, after having seen the pics I think it's neat and effective.

If you don't want 5 lug anymore "feel free" to ship the rear end setup to me!!

Cheers

Bennie

#57 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hooked the drivers side fan to a relay and a switch inside the car. I have driven over 4000 mi in the last three or four weeks and the car has been pretty good overall. I want a franken motor and a turbo now. I am heading to glamis sand dunes in the morning to burn up my clutch and practice digging in the sand. I will try and remember to take some pics and videos to share.

#58 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

After Driving it in the sand, I want better suspension in the rear of the vehicle and a turbo wouldn't hurt.  I guess I'm half way there already with the expansion tank and all. Attached File  photo 4.JPG   89.16K   14 downloads Attached File  IMG_1902.MOV   587.24K   14 downloads Attached File  IMG_1904.MOV   816.44K   8 downloads

Edited by snofool, 21 January 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#59 snofool

snofool

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • colorado

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

I am getting a 33 code. VSS. It is hooked up but it is still throwing a code for it. Yellow/red wire under dash? I checked it on a diagram but car still throws it. And code 17 injector 4. Car started to idle funny at stop light and I could tell it was running on three cylinders. Then it runs just fine. Not getting good mileage however. 21-22mpg. I have some new injectors that will go in today. Anyone else running no vss? How much will this affect the performance of the ej?

#60 CWP8

CWP8

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • westminster

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

Didn't you just change the injectors?

#61 snofool

snofool

New User