Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have noticed that every time I make a right turn the RPM seem to rise very quickly but not accelerate my car, before shifting into gear. I notice it most when I'm at a red light or approaching a red like and I need to make a right. Not sure if my transmission is going out. PLEASE HELP!!  

I've found that checking that auto-trans fluid in these is a bit tricky and can give false readings. Make sure you're following the correct procedure.

The front diff dipstick is located in the passenger side, pretty much under the airbox. Smallish yellow round handle that is a pain to get to.

Edited by nickb21

Differential fluid will not affect shifting. You need to be focusing on the ATF dipstick which is on the drivers side. It's under a bunch of hoses and usually difficult to see. Check ATF level with the engine warm and running in park after shifting through all gears. The 4EAT uses Dexron III type fluid. Fill ATF through dipstick tube on the drivers side.

If front diff fluid is also low top off with 80W-90 gear oil through dipstick on passenger side.