Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What does my "AT" button do? (1995 Liberty/Legacy 2WD)

G'Day Guys, I've done a search of the FAQ's,but couldn't find anything. On my car's console, there's a button marked "AT Lock" with a symbol resembling a snowflake? AT? "Air temperature"? I thought?

Hmmnnn, I consulted the owners manual and it explained that by pressing this button you are able to lock the transmission in any gear, for driving in poor conditions. What would I use this option for? Snow? Mud? Can anyone enlighten me as to how it works? Cheers, Terry.

Edited by Terry in Australia

I did a quick search, and found a possible explanation. I don't believe we ever got this button in the US (maybe some SVX's and 1st gen Legacies?).

Copy and paste from: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/hold-switch-whats-2064/

It stops automatic use of 1st gear, more or less. I think it also alters the shift points to upshift at lower revs than usual (opposite of Power button). It's mainly intended to reduce wheelspin on snow.

Specifically, with HOLD turned on:

In D, the car will move off in 2nd gear and change up to 3rd and 4th as soon as it can.
In 3, the car will move off in 2nd gear and change up to 3rd as soon as it can.
In 2, the car will use 2nd gear only.
In 1, the car will use 1st gear only.

Allegedly, using Hold also makes the centre transfer clutch lock up sooner/harder.

You asked where its useful.

This is a good feature to use when traction is limited and you do NOT want wheel spin. The engine doesn't transfer as much power to the wheels in the higher gears, which helps with preventing wheel spin in snow, grass, mud, etc.

Sounds like the "MANU" button we got on the 90-94 models here.

Lets you select which gear you want to be in.  Mostly..

If you put it in "3" and then stop and start again, it will drop you to 2 to start, and then as soon as the speed is high enough to maintain 3rd it goes to 3rd and stays there and holds.

Thanks Guys, good info! I think I've got the Subaru bug, I'm looking at a 1992 (series 1?) AWD Liberty (Legacy) that looks to be really clean and straight, (but with auto transmission problems) for $500.00 at the moment, and am wondering how difficult it will be to install a reconditioned transmission. I've done a couple of manual gearboxes into RWD Fords many years ago, are Subaru transmission swaps difficult? I don't have access to a hoist, so I'll have to do it in my driveway. Thanks again guys! Cheers, Terry.

You'll want a jack adapter to lift and lower it with. Or some creative finnagling with a come-along and a floor jack. You can't put a jack under the pan because it will crush it and mess up stuff inside. (Wiring, solenoids, etc) so you have to have some way to lift the trans up into the car without holding it under the pan. If you have an adapter that is larger than the width of the pan it may be OK.

Other than that, standard transmission replacement procedures apply. Unplug, unbolt, lower down. Raise new trans into place, bolt in, plug in, done.

Since this trans also drives the front wheels you get axles to deal with as well, but those are easy. Knock out the pins and leave the axles in place until you get the trans separated from the engine. Once its separated you can slide the trans over far enough to each side to remove the axles without having to mess with strut bolts or ball joints.