Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 GL Wagon Revival

soobenthusiast

I picked up a new project today.

It's a 1983 GL Wagon, FWD 5-speed. The car had not moved in ~15 years, so getting it out was a challenge. I took 4 spare wheels with mounted tires, ended up only needed the front two. All 4 tires were flat and the wheels were an inch below the dirt; as a result 3 of the wheels have some pretty serious rust.

My preferred choice would be to find a few more white 8 spoke wagon wheels.

DSCN5283.JPG

The vine on the antenna is a custom touch not often seen.

DSCN5284.JPG

Surprisingly, almost all of this tree sap washed right off.

DSCN5286.JPG

Also on the parts list is a left front turn signal, and left side mirror.

The windshield is also cracked, but that can wait a while.

DSCN5292.JPG

DSCN5291.JPG

The engine bay is just as dusty as I would expect for a car that sat in Western Oklahoma for this long.

So far I just have one question - How does one open the locking door for the gas filler?

I plan to leave it mostly stock and just drive it. It really needs some miles put on it, it's just a baby.

DSCN5299.JPG

I may lower it a little and SPFI swap it, but I want to drive it stock for a while first.

There is also some rocker rust, but there is no urgency as I don't live in salt country.

I got to play with it some today.

I put a few gallons in the tank and was still getting no fuel, so I decided to try an auxiliary tank. I used an old motorcycle tank elevated at about roof height, and ran the fuel line right into the same line it would normally recieve fuel from. After the bowl filled with fuel gas would start dripping out of the charcoal canister.

Anyways, it would fire and run for a couple seconds, but it seems that the accelerator pump and the main(s) are the only circuits with any sign of life. I'll start by cleaning the carb and see what happens.

Where would be a good place to jump the fuel pump?

Also, on Rockauto and such I only see a carb kit for a 2 barrel Hitachi; yet my carb looks to be a single barrel. Am I missing something?

If it helps I believe I have the "feedback" carb that has way too many wires and vacuum lines.