Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question regarding 2006 - 2009 Outbacks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lhrocker

lhrocker

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm looking to get an Outback, probably between 2006 to 2009.  Are there any known problems to these model years that I should look out for?  When I got my 2002 GT, they had issues with the head gasket, but mine was taken care of before I bought it.  I need a wagon now so I just wanted to make sure there were no surprises with the above liste model years as I haven't kept up since I didn't need to buy one for a while.

Thanx - Pete

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

good to know about ghostwalking:

http://www.subaruout...ling-fixes.html

and the shakes, which I think are 2010 only issues but i'd make sure:

http://www.subaruout...l-shake-issues/

headgaskets are still an issue until 2009.  the symptoms vary a tiny bit from the 2002 era, but are still very similar, mostly the same for our purposes.  external leaks, oil or coolant in the same area underneath.  look at the head mating surface and they're either wet/leaking or not.  no surprises (like the older Phase I DOHC EJ25 which is terribly hard to diagnose or inspect).

EJ25 Turbo headgaskets don't leak and can work on those engines (and your old 2002).  if you don't get those you still get the same prone to leak headgasket it came with (unless somethings changed recently).

2005's have an ECU/Catalytic converter reprogramming TSB or fix - check into that, if you need it or it's a TSB or whatever.  I think P0420 codes are one symptom of that particular issue/year.

#3 lhrocker

lhrocker

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thanx for the great info Gary.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members