Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any way to test clutch bearings?

Without pulling the tranny?

For a couple years now, I'll hear a little grating noise which slows down then stops, when I come to a stop with the clutch in. Sounds like its coming from just on the other side of the firewall, through the dash.

This is happening more often, and now I'm hearing some grating noises when I'm driving. Maybe more when I coast, maybe not... I can only hear this noise when something like a car or wall is right next to me, reflecting the sound back. It's not constant, though.

Any thoughts on that? Same things or different issues? Slipping clutch is one thing, but I don't know how to test the bearings.

93 Loyale 4wd wagon.

Quick test method..

Start the car, leave drivers door open and E brake engaged, transmission in Neutral, clutch depressed, listen.

Release clutch...listen.

If you hear a rattling sound, depress clutch again to check if the rattle stops.

This will give you a quick indication of the condition of your release bearing.

How many miles are on the car, trans, clutch?

Ah, good thoughts, thanks. It isn't doing it all the time, but I may be able to catch it.

150,000 on the entire car. I would think the clutch has been done once before...but I have no idea, and that doesn't mean it isn't going out again.