Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Xt6 swap help needed

Someperson

So, I can't get a definitive answer about what i'll need for a crossmember to drop my ej22t into my xt6. I was told an ea82t crossmember would be workable and i've gotten conflicting info there stating that the xt crossmember won't bolt up to the mount holes in the 6... anyone here done the swap before?

If you do choose the EA82T cross member the lower control arm pockets will likely be a problem. The bushing area on the lower control arm will probably rub, and the XT6 bolts won't fit unless you drill the holes out. It might just be easier to notch out the XT6 cross member to clear the EJ22T exhaust.  I don't know about the XT4 part.

Edited by Crazyeights

Bah, come on guys. What ever happened to that sticky about not answering if you don't know?!

A 4-cyl (XT or otherwise) and 6-cyl engine crossmembers have completely different bolt spacing (front to back) than each other. They are not a bolt-in replacement.

If you were to lay the 2 crossmembers next to each other, the XT6 one would be much "wider" (across it's narrowest horizontal dimension, which would be front-to-back in the car), this is why the XT6 sway bar is shaped differently, and pulls the end links back and a funny angle when used on an EA82 car.

Now, I have not swapped them (personally...I don't see the point. You have the engine bay for an EG33.....but each to their own), but knowing that the control arm mount is near the rear. And the basic geometry (leading rod mounts, transmission crossmember, etc.) is all the same from a 4-cyl, I suspect the rearward hole would line up correctly, and the front hole on the crossmember would not reach to the bolt through the framerail. So I suspect one could use the 4-cyl crossmember as a template to drill 2 new holes in the frame rail, and from there everything would bolt up. This would probably be considerably easier than notching the XT6 crossmember.

• Like 1

I have an xt6 crossmember in a gl coupe, which is opposite of what you are doing.

I had to drill a hole on eaither side of the xt6 member to fit my frame. 

It should be the rear part of the frame lines up, so line up the holes, and drill new ones to match the body. You may want to consider using the studs from a normal body and drilling through the framerail on the xt6 to match the turbo crossmember. The hole spacing on the body may be too far apart for the crossmember.

Either way, depending on where you drill holes, it will match up to the body. You will have to rely on your skills to attach it, but the dimensions are there to work with.

There may be differences where the power steering rack mounts such as swapping lines over. Depending on the rack. You may have to remove the external hard lines on the turbo crossmember, and if using the xt6 rack, you may have to make a 2nd hole on the crossmember for the steering line hook-up since later steering racks run along the rack instead of external hardlines.

This may be different depending on what year your parts are. I had an 86 body using 89 parts going into it. There are a few structural difference from 86 bodies from 87 and later due to the introduction of 4spd auromatic trans in 87/88