Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stranded in Carthage Tx on HWY 79 Fuel pump out

My Brother called me and said he broke down on hwy 79 near DeBerry and having it towed.

Fuel pump not working, having it towed to Motel in Carthage Tx. Anyone near by that has a used one? He knows how to take it out if he has enough tools with him. He doesn't have a test light with him. So he is limited.

Anyone hear by or know someone that might give him a hand.  I have parts for it but am to far away. he is trying to get back to TN. It is a 97 OB wagon

If you can help. he can be reached at 865-356-4952 Thank you and I will make it up to whom ever helps

Just replaced my pump 2 months ago. Thinking a philips screwdriver and a 10mm socket with an extension to get down in the well is all that is needed. Hardest part is removing the 3 hoses. Also recommend a OEM Subaru pump. The pump I used from an online store stated the pump was "a direct replacement". It wasn't and required cutting and splicing wires and it was much smaller than the stock pump. 

www.car-parts.com search by zipcode - he'll get the closest yards that have a subaru. 

subaru says 1995 - 1997 are the same fuel pump but i bet there's a much wider range of pumps that interchange.  if you need to start a thread titled "what fuel pumps interchange with 98 OBW"

in generally he could wire up any pump to limp home.  use those wire taps - that bite into the wire rather than splicing/cutting.