Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That would be the first one that was all on my stupid part. I plowed a deer once...that wasn't all that fun, but it wasnt as bad as this. Talk about feeling like an idiot! Three f***ing days I had it!!! Good news though...the insurance company decided not to total it, so I should have a better than before car in 3 weeks (one expensive way to get the door dings that where there before out!!!) Thank god for USAA.

dude, I feel you. I loved my OBS, it was my baby, and then it was declared totalled - all because some lady in her Jeep decided not to swerve, but instead, just drive over my driver side front fender. :mad: but now I got a brat, so its okay. Glad to hear that yours didn't get totalled.

What I meant was: Once you've had your first "entering a corner too fast" accident, you tend to recognize the signs a car gives when you're overcooking it in the future. You realise earlier in the bend that you need to scrub speed off, and this can give you valuable time to do so by braking VERY gently or lifting off the gas and letting the rear tyres squeal a bit as you turn the steering wheel some more.

First time you experience real run-wide understeer you tend to stomp the brakes, and this is NEVER the right thing to do. Personally, I toppled a fire hydrant during my lesson...

Hey, Kev! I see things have not changed much in KS since I left. While I was at KU I learned that many drivers were legally receiving aid to the blind! KS was the birth place of the single white light in the center of the grille so others could tell that was a car. The forerunner of DRL's, I guess. You got door dings in three days after getting a new car. Cheez! That is when I glanced at your drivers corner and saw you are in KS.

SCCA was and probably still is alive and well in KS. Rally and race can be had on almost any weekend somewhere within the state. A Sube sedan oughta make a great rally and gymkhana car.

Braking to hard, over steering, looking at where I was going instead of where I need to go...I really screwed that one up. What do you do when you are going to fast? Ease off the gas, look through your turn, and i have heard turn into your skid, but in this case it would have put me right into the rock wall, but I think that only applies when you are in a more serious skid! I never even made it to the apex of the turn, so i couldnt give it more gas. I guess good driving means not putting myself in the position to screw up, but it was a little late for that!

What you outlined pretty well makes the point of the sports car club. Those folks are very serious about max performance with stock cars with max physical safety to both car and driver. A gymkhana in a deserted parking lot will show the concept of high performance driving & precision control at generally less than 40mph! This will teach any candidate the beginnings of how to go to the limits of adhesion and not beyond. Hey! And when you washout, you flatten acouple of rubber cones. The worse that can happen is you have to rub out some scuff marks in the paint. Give it a try!

No one has experienced a sever under steer until they have done it on a sportbike. One major shoulder injury and a totaled Kawasaki later I even drive my AWD car much less aggressively. When you have leaned far enough over that your footpeg is scraping on the road and you are still way to wide, there is nothing left to do, and you know even if you are lucky enough to live thru the now unavoidable accident you will never be the same, you get a new perspective on how to approach driving. every vehicle no matter how well designed has a limit.

You live you learn!

Glad you were not hurt! But I bet you approach curves a bit differently now.

Geezus...I would call a taxi from then off if I was in your shoes. Talk about shell shock! Thank god you are ok! You bet your rump roast I'm going to drive more careful. I really want to take one of those classes or have my buddy who is big into autocross drive with me in a parking lot so I can at least see what she can do. By the way, I'm getting my baby back on May 5th! Thank god for USAA!!

• 1 year later...

Ive got a really good entering a corner stupid one car accident story: Driving my mulletmobile (hint, it wasn't a Mustang) about 3 years ago at 6AM on a somewhat winding road, I decide to turn off the ignition on a long straight stretch to save gas. This is before I knew starting a car used more gas than idling for a few moments. Anyway, I accidentally turn the key too far into the steering lock position and there's a curve approaching me. I tried to unlock the wheel, but for some reason it will NOT move. So instead of turning I just hit the brakes, although a little late because I still run it into the ditch. I come to a stop, turn off the car, get out, curse my idiocy, inspect for damage, get back in, turn on and drive home. How's that?

Don't drive on sandy utility roads. Check out the before and after pics. This is three days after getting my baby. http://photos.yahoo.com/icecold_ii_2000

I feel your pain, I effed up my 1998 OBS three days after I bought it also. Luckily the tree was there to stop me. I only needed to replace a fender and fix some door dings......not bad for a high speed 360 into a ditch and a tree. I'll be more careful now.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Something i like to keep in mind about AWD cars, the traction doesn't kick in unless you give is some gas.

That sucks, i love my OBS.. but at first i didn't have such a good feel for it, and i showed some snowbanks who was boss. But now that i have a feel for it's handling, i can powerslide around lots of dirt corners.. some....

it's good that they didn't total it, because there's always some life in a subaru, no matter what you do to it!

And if it makes you feel any better, i've done worse damage to my OBS backing out of the garage :rolleyes: i descided to turn to soon.. going too fast... oops!

just pop a new fender on that puppy, replace some lights, and you're golden.

since we're re-living screw-ups of days past, ill join in. a while back before the mudding and the snow incidents......and the police............i was having fuin with my best bud and his two younger bros in my 86' GL, a was approaching a corner i liked, because it was hard to take the correct way, its a 25 mph corner, but at the top it turns to the left. i approach it at about 55 or so, have it in 4 HI and start easying on the gas just as i start to turn in, i start to oversteer, i dont correct and i hit the brakes, i end up doing a 540 degree trun thru the corner and slam rump roast end into a ditch. i check to see if everyone is okay and put it in 4 LO and crawl out of ditch....lol......i then smoked my first cigarette.

~Josh~