Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 3door Coupe

Nick Nack

I just got this sweet little thing for 600 bucks, and can't wait to get it looking nicer. Here's what it looked like the day I brought it home.

IMAG0025-small.jpg

I have the four matching white rims, but the front wheel bearing was so bad the rim would catch on the brake caliper and the car wouldn't move. PO said the tranny was bad because only the rear wheels were engaging, but when I took the front wheel off to fix the bearing, I noticed there weren't any splines on the hub. Hopefully getting a hub from a member here and then it'll have dual range and fwd back!

IMAG0024-small.jpg

A few decent dents here or there, but it's pretty rust free, has a "decent" interior--which i'm currently cleaning so it's picture worthy--and runs very well. Can't wait to get the wheel back on next week, give her a full tuneup, and take her on a 2,000 mile road trip at the end of the month.

IMAG0023-small.jpg

I'm also working on removing all of the stickers...i hate stickers on cars :(

Does anyone know what this model is actually called? Was it sold much in the US? I definitely don't recall seeing any of these on the road ever.

for 1986 this would be  Subaru GL Coupe. GL is the 'model' and coupe is the body. Also known as '3-door, or 3door as far as search results go. References to 'hatch or hatchback' refer to the older body with ea81 engins.

1986 is the first year for the coupe body style. The hatch wend from 79 or 80 thru 89. the 3door coupe went thru 90.

For parts listings, just default to looking for 1990 loyale so you don't get wrong parts since there are overlaps of 2 generations of car for the same 85-89 years of parts listings.

I have one of these, Chestnut brown metallic, tan interior, originally a FWD 5spd, now EJ'd and 5 lugged with full time transmission.

• Like 1

This 2000 mile trip wouldn't happen to be to Nevada would it? Also sweet go! Love the 3doors.

Unfortunately it's back to FL, and no plans to go through Nevada. Sorry! Yeah i was really digging the bubble window hatch. I bought the car without even seeing more than one photo of it. Never drove it or anything, but for 600 bucks...I think I got a steal.

Thanks for all of the info on the model Miles. That helps a lot to know to look for Loyales on my junkyard runs.

I got my 89 3dr RX for $450 about 6yrs ago.

After all that time and I dont know how much $, it looks like this.

Outbackshoot1_zps5e755933.jpg

Not to jack the thread, but what is up with your door?  Rest of the car looks smooth but that door?

Edited by O.C.D.

This is what happens when you restore a car that already has a dent. I can't speak for rob's car, but my car is Too pretty to look at, Too immaculate to sit in, but it still has rust on the edges and a dent on the hood. 

But a pretty car with a little dent is still better than no pretty car at all! :)

Got new fuel/air/oil filters, headlight bulbs, spark plugs/wires, wiper blades, and a cap/rotor for 53 bucks shipped.

Dropped some seafoam into the oil and idled the engine for a bit before the change and it came out BLACK...i also have no idea when it was changed last. New oil and filter went in, along with the air and fuel filters. The cap/rotor went in and new plugs and wires except...my longest wire was too short, must have ordered the wrong kit.

Also using some of the seafoam as a plastic reconditioner for the bumper and trim, and I did some major upholstery cleaning. I'll have to get pics tomorrow because she's looking a lot nicer.

It still idles rough and/or dies at or below 1k. I feel like it could the carb could use an adjustment/rebuild.

Edited by Nick Nack

• 3 months later...

That one doesn't look so bad actually…the stickers that used to be on mine were a little too indie/pushy liberal for my tastes.

I'm an idiot. Radiator problem solved. Oil leaks solved. Car is running awesome!

Edited by Nick Nack

• 1 month later...

"I have the four matching white rims, but the front wheel bearing was so bad the rim would catch on the brake caliper and the car wouldn't move. PO said the tranny was bad because only the rear wheels were engaging, but when I took the front wheel off to fix the bearing, I noticed there weren't any splines on the hub. Hopefully getting a hub from a member here and then it'll have dual range and fwd back!"

Those are ea81 chassis wagon wheels. They do not fit over ea82 chassis brakes.

"I have the four matching white rims, but the front wheel bearing was so bad the rim would catch on the brake caliper and the car wouldn't move. PO said the tranny was bad because only the rear wheels were engaging, but when I took the front wheel off to fix the bearing, I noticed there weren't any splines on the hub. Hopefully getting a hub from a member here and then it'll have dual range and fwd back!"

Those are ea81 chassis wagon wheels. They do not fit over ea82 chassis brakes.

Those are not EA81 wagon wheels. They are EA82. They have a different curve to them. And the EA81 wheels fo fit on EA82 cars, but only if the front pads are worn a bit. If the pads are new, they will hit on the calipers.

I used 13" brat wheels on an 85 GL once and couldn't get the front wheels to clear the stock calipers, theyd barely hit...so I got the grinder and grinded off the edge of the caliper so the wheels would fit, then painted them with some rustoleum and it worked great, never had a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll get my good camera out tomorrow and snap a couple, those most recent pictures are terrible. i definitely have two different styles of the 8 spoke rim that appear to be the same from a distance. One has a little different shape and misses the caliper, where the rear two wheels are flatter and only work with the drums back there. I'm gonna grind the calipers down so i can use any rim in any location.

• 3 weeks later...