Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Liberty (Legacy) remote central locking?

G'Day Guys, my Oct 1995 build Liberty GX FWD 4 speed auto sedan came with only one key and what looks like an aftermarket remote. When I press the button (only one button) the side indicators flash, but it doesn't unlock the doors. When I insert and turn the key, it unlocks all 4 doors, so I'm assuming (and I could be wrong) that the car originally came with central locking, which would have been operated by a remote control? Can anyone tell me if this assumption is correct, and if so, where I can buy the remote? Thanks in advance! Cheers, Terry.

Edited by Terry in Australia

The power locks are tied into the operation of the drivers door lock. Flip the lock lever or use the key in the drivers door and all of the other doors lock/unlock with it. This was a standard feature on the early second generation (95-97 I think) Legacy.

I don't think the Subaru remotes ever had one button, so its possible one of the previous owners installed an aftermarket keyles entry/alarm system.

Look under the dash for anything that looks aftermarket. The drivers side usualy hanthe easiest access to power source, ao aftermarket systems usually end up there zip tied to other parts.

The factory keyless entry system has a small black button for programming wrapped up in some tape on one of the wire harnesses. And I think the module is tucked under there somewhere but I'm pretty sure it's bolted on, unless it was a dealer install.