Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New clutch not working after install.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

So the Brat is almost road-going and I am dying to get her out.  I am currently only stumped by two things.  One being the carb, which I have asked about in the 80's forum and the other being the clutch.

New clutch disc, pilot, throwout, pressure plate and throwout return springs.

Everything is back together and there is no clutch engagement at all?  The pedal goes all the way to the floor with nothing?

I checked the fork and it is not loose or of the pivot.  The return springs are working as it pulls the bearing back out.  I can even move the fork on my own and there is resistance.

So what am I missing?  There is a ton of slack and the adjuster is almost all of the way out.  I do have a new clutch cable but have not put that in yet.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Jon

#2 espey_16

espey_16

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Tenino Wa

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Did you put the disk in backwards by chance? I did that once and had the same symptoms you're having.

#3 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Here it is installed.  I hope to you know what I didn't do that.  But I recall making it fit like the one I removed. Am I wrong?

photo4_zps68e505d2.jpg

photo3_zps97d6c918.jpg

Edited by O.C.D., 12 August 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#4 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Can anyone tell me if the fingers (position) is indicative of a clutch disk in backwards?

#5 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

looks right change cabble check that the fork is seated to the ball pivot sounds like streched cabble addjust it to about 1/8 inch play. If the disk was backwards the plate whould not look like it does also did you change the small pilot berring I find is very hard to install without damaging it did the transs go on nicely ? or was it a fight

#6 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for confirming Ivan!!!!!

Pilot was replaced and the trans slid right into the crankshaft/pilot with little to no effort. 

I will check the pivot and just install the new clutch cable I have.

#7 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

1/8 - 1/4 free play under the addjuster nut to fork and in 1rst gear with clutch in car should not try to move at all if trying to creap ahead needs more peadal should disangae about 1/2 way up

#8 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

I will report back with my findings and thanks again for the info.  I really hope that the cable is the issue and it was stretched.  Still seems odd that I get no engagement at all though?  Oh well, won't know til I swap cables.

#9 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Cables swapped and she shifts flawlessly!  I can't believe it was stretched that far.  Who knows.  At least she can be driven now.

Did a small burnout last night on accident as I was not used to the clutch working so well, lol.

#10 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

sweet !!

#11 bertmann73

bertmann73

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • las vegas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

engine looks good by the way... nice job.

PS the coors light can beside it remids me of a few mechanical blunders ive commited....

#12 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

engine looks good by the way... nice job.

PS the coors light can beside it remids me of a few mechanical blunders ive commited....

I would say a few beers have been harmed during this build, lol.  Garage time is my sanity time - no wife or kid.  Just me, a project, tools, music and beer for a few hours a week.  Used to be a lot more but what can ya do.

#13 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

check your pedal box for a crack up the left side?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users