Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flywheel teeth gone. Other damage? Need help.

So a couple weeks ago I was on my way home, about to turn into my driveway when i heard a kind of squeek and a rattling and my 2000 impreza outback sport died. I inspected the timing belt and pulleys which all seemed fine. Next thing I pulled my starter and had it checked. it was completely dead. I put in a new starter and it still wouldn't start so I checked the teeth on my flywheel. It is missing a bunch of them  and some are pretty badly warn. 

I was told that if it was just the fly wheel and starter it shouldn't have died, and that also I should be able to push start it. Is this true? Does it mean something worse may have happened as well?

I am planning on doing the work myself when i can get enough money to buy the parts. I was thinking I should replace the clutch and rear main seal while I am in there. Is there anything else I should replace or check?

Thanks for looking and any help provided!

I am not sure. I don't know what the bendix gear is. Is that the thing inside the starter that has the teeth that turn the flywheel teeth? If so that was intact. I had oreilly check it, the guy said it was completely dead, wouldn't turn and just shot out sparks.

Starter/flywheel issues should not cause it to just stall and die.

And yes, you should be able to push start it.

Did you pull ALL the timing covers and verify the timing marks?  The belt could have slipped a few teeth but still be tight.

I see. I only pulled the right hand side cover, the mark looked right to me. The belt looked in good shape as well, no cracking, scratches or anything on it. I guess I should probably pull the other side to be sure it hasn't slipped a bit.

By the way thanks for your responses. I appreciate it.

Maybe the gear on the starter is stuck out, and the starter just cooked from being horriffically over-reved?

The gear should be retracted when the starter is not energized.

That would damage the ring gear, and stall the car when the starter seized.

And, the car would bump-start just fine.

Hmm I see. Plausible I suppose. I just don't want to have something else serious wrong with it. It's already gonna be a huge pain for me to do the flywheel and clutch. I don't wanna do all to find something else happened as well.

The gear on the old starter seemed to be out in the ready to go position, but didn't look much different from my new starter. I don't know to much about these things though.

Edited by bca23

The starter gear moves out less than a 1/2".  I'd turn the engine over by hand and if it's free and feels normal you should be able to push start it, go forward not backwards.  

If the starter was dragging down the engine RPM it may  have died at idle.

The read main seal almost never leaks but the breather cover almost always leaks and should be resealed.  If you have the plastic plate, get the metal plate.