Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did a search and found several "Knock Sensor" related posts, but no pics of where it's located. Mine may need to be replaced since it seems to be turning the CEL on...

Background info: '01 OBW; a few weeks ago the CEL came on. The car seemed to be running fine, but I decided to reset everything by disconnecting the battery. CEL stayed off after that.

The next week I had the car in for service: Plugs, fuel filter, transmission fluid/filter, differiential service. Car ran better than ever. I went on vacation and only drove it once the following week. The next time I started it (and every time since then), the CEL came on but the car was still running great.

Yesterday I had AutoZone pull the codes for me: P0328- The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from knock sensor 1 is too high for the current engine operating conditions. (Bank 1 or single sensor) (Bank 1 identifies the location of cylindar #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylindars on the opposite bank)

Today when I started the car- NO CEL (when it comes on, it's always at startup) so I'm not sure if the sensor is flaky, or if other factors (engine work, car sitting for a week) needed to be digested by the computer for a while. If the sensor needs to be replaced, I'd like to DIY it if possible because the dealer quote of $195 does not sit well with me. Hence the request for pics (I'm not very comfortable working from directions without pics)...

Thanks!

When the KS went bad in our 98 GT it was intermittant at first. The CEL would go on occasionally and reset after a while. We let it slide for a bit.

Later the KS went bad full time. The computer pulls a LOT of timing to be safe so the engine will not be damaged. Power is significantly down and gas mileage gets very poor.

You will know!

When the KS went bad in our 98 GT it was intermittant at first. The CEL would go on occasionally and reset after a while. We let it slide for a bit.

Later the KS went bad full time. The computer pulls a LOT of timing to be safe so the engine will not be damaged. Power is significantly down and gas mileage gets very poor.

You will know!

Well, maybe it's not the sensor- the car's running fine as far as I can tell. This morning on startup the CEL was "OFF" again (sometimes it comes on right with ignition). By the time I got to the end of my driveway it was lit up. AAAAARGH!

• 2 years later...
Well, maybe it's not the sensor- the car's running fine as far as I can tell. This morning on startup the CEL was "OFF" again (sometimes it comes on right with ignition). By the time I got to the end of my driveway it was lit up. AAAAARGH!

Atomic (or anyone else),

did you ever have to change your knock sensor? I also have an intermitant CEL (p0328) with no apparent problems and am wondering if I should change this sensor.

How do you test to see if this sensor is working properly?