Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clipping a car?

So my 81 hatch got destroyed.However I found someone locally with a front clip of an 82-84 brat.The guy that has it is only interested in the engine/transmission so I would have to pull the engine and transmission then I could get it.Once I clear out space in the garage I could roll both halves in and start the surgery.I am just wondering what is the best way to weld and reconnect the sheetmetal where its layered?

Also roughly how much would a front cut with no engine/transmission weigh once I removed just about everything that unbolts?The front clip was cut just after the T tops if it matters.

Depeneds on where the damage is on your hatch and how sever, I'd need to see some pics. To do this properly, you're going to need a mig welder, good skills and patience. NO, you can't use bolts, pop rivets, duct tape or bubble gum. You're also going to have to build a jig to support the hatch on with locating points for the section you're replacing. Get me some pics and PM me if you'd like. It can be done, but is tedious and must be done correctly.

3 spots, both windshield posts, and the floor under the seats, take good measurements of the windshield area,  at the posts sleave it with some smaller tubing that will slip into the posts, at the floor overlap the metal, the doors will be your guild as were it all goes back, I would think finding another body would be your best bet, I have a EA81 wagon I might let go of , good luck , is the roof ok on the Hatch? , if not  it will need straightened.

The roof is kinked at the B pillar on the passenger side of the hatch.I looked at it today and after I saw what the floor was supposed to look like I figured out how extensive the damage is.The passenger side foot well is pushed back to where its only a couple inches in front of the factory shifter hole in the floor.

the hatch is pretty much destroyed so that there really isn't a good reference point forward of the B pillar.

DSC00310_zps0ab2a422.jpg~original

DSC00308_zpse8d7e006.jpg~original

I'm not entirely sure how it happened but the impact even went through the 2x3x.1875 steel that was tieing all the blocks together and crushed the front-most rear lift block(leading edge of the rear suspension lift block).

If I could find a hatch shell to start again that would be great,because the hatch wheeled so much better than the EA81 wagon I first t cased.Shorter,less rear over hang,lighter,etc..

Grim I did a front clip on a outback recently took many hours and some very percition welding and layering the new sheet meatal must overlap the origanal meatal and should be bolted and welded and braced if any change it may be weak I had cut the car just in front of engine cradle. Then overlaped the new front useing the engine xmember to hold and line it up on the new front clip i cut it so that top and bottom of frame rails were they go to the engine cradle were still there when was done had 4 layers of meatal bolted thru engine xmember and then was able to weld rest up is important to make reference points that the new clip can be lined up with the old one

As much as I am for saving our loved ones, that one will be hard as you would pretty much have to lop it in half if you want it bad enough. I am also very fond of hatches due to their twin relation of the Brat. If I may..... WTF happened!? lol

I was towing my car home on a trailer coming from the big mid summer offroad meet in evans creek.I stopped at the turn off for Wa261 and tightened everything.Then drove home,Wa261 is a curving bumpy road with hills thrown in for good measure.My trailer isn't exactly rigid,in fact its very flexible.I'm guessing that over the course of the 10 miles of wa261 before it fell off the trailer the straps holding the car down came loose.I got down to the bottom of a hill and I felt a jerk and I looked in the rear view mirror just in time to see my beloved hatch leaving the truck and trailer.I kept going about an 1/8 of a mile then turned around to find it at the bottom of a shallow ditch with it crashed into a tree about as wide as the car.It hit that tree at ~50 mph.The ground leading up to it was a little rough and they might have slowed down a stock car but with the bigger tires it just rolled over all the bumps without really slowing down.

So right now my car is on top of my trailer and I am just trying to figure out what to do with it.Before I had even left for EC I was planning on making the trailer stronger when I got back.Once the trailer is freed up I will do that as well as weld some strong chain to the front and back of the trailer so if something does happen and the straps come loose the car can't move more than a foot because of the emergency chain holding it.

right now I am toying with the idea of tubing the front,just enough to hang sheetmetal and mount suspension.I already have to re-make the 8" lift and subframe for the T-Case.While I know the car will never look right its an offroader,with its constantly out of alignment worn suspension the car never drove right on the road as it was.Building it like that I should be able do away with the front lift blocks and just relocate the mounting points for the suspension 8" down.

I can get that front cut for $50 and it has mostly straight body panels and its "frame" isn't destroyed so I can take measurements off it.The way i figure if I get a new EA82 front suspension and put it in place under the front and position it so its within 1/16" of an inch of square with the back tires it should be good enough for the limited time its on the street-filling it with gas or driving it to the local wheeling spot,17 miles away.

right now I am toying with the idea of tubing the front,just enough to hang sheetmetal and mount suspension.I already have to re-make the 8" lift and subframe for the T-Case.While I know the car will never look right its an offroader,with its constantly out of alignment worn suspension the car never drove right on the road as it was.Building it like that I should be able do away with the front lift blocks and just relocate the mounting points for the suspension 8" down

i would love to see it tubed up with some exo skelitol cage of some sort 

more like cut it off at the firewall.The strut towers are crushed,at least on the passenger side.Through my years of wheeling these things Ive discovered that the lighter something is the better.My first Tcased vehicle was a beat to hell and back EA81 wagon,I cut the roof off after the C pillar and it wheeled alot better.When I got the hatch it wheeled better than my wagon could ever hope to.My problem is I can't find a hatch, or brat for any price,the best I can do is a EA82 wagon with a blown engine,from wheeling both EA81 and EA82 vehicles I know the EA82 wagon is a pig offroad compared to a hatch or even a EA81 wagon.take this resent trip to evans creek for example, there was a spot on the trail that every single wagon had a little bit of trouble with,but both hatches went right up first time.

so I guess the point of that was justifying my reasoning.Right now I am still not sure what to do with it,Right now I am even considering joining the air force because I am at exactly the same place in my life as I was 4 years ago-broke,unemployed,and living with my mom...Only now I have an AS of Engineering..I dunno I have an appointment with the recruiter on thursday..