Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1986 Subaru GL just died. I don't want to junk it. Someone looking for a parts car?

GL 1800 1986

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ScottGMac

ScottGMac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Wethersfield, CT

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

My '86 Subaru GL just died and I'm looking to get rid of it. We blew a radiator hose, it overheated and probably cracked the cylinder head. In any event, it's no longer driveable but is probably repairable if somebody wants to go through the effort. Perhaps somebody just wants to use it as a parts car. I know I could get a few bucks for it if I just junked it but I'd rather see it go to a good home with somebody who might get some use out of the good stuff that remains.

Scott.

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that the head has cracked (unless it is a turbo version, EA-series don't crack heads).  They do have headgasket failures, though.

Saying that the head is cracked will get few inquiries; saying that it needs headgaskets will be more successful for you.

Cheers!

#3 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 1,009 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

How did it just die? What are the symptoms?

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Change the timing belt.

#5 briankk

briankk

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • West Point, CA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Where is it?

#6 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Change the timing belt.

Probably won't help much after a blown radiator hose and overheat. :)

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

All original with no maintenance. Probably sat for long periods of time. I could see both happening simultaneously in regards to old rubber and one stress causing another stress.

I wish i could come save this car as it would not be much effort to fix beyond the cost of hoses and head gaskets.

If you go through the trouble of removing the heads for diagnostic purposes, then by all meands do the head gaskets.

What will happen is a mechanic will find cracks between the valves and tell you they are junk and blame it on the overheat, where in fact the cracks would have already be there and are a common occurrence and almost every pull -off head will have them. Ther eis no water passage where you will find this crack. There are TSB notices about them. 

So if you know this, and your mechanic knows this, he can go ahead and make repairs re-using the same heads successfully. You ,your mechanic, or whoever ends up with your car.

What i am saying is the car is salvageable first before writing it off as junk. Junk it if it's crashed. Engines are repairable or replaceable. Old cars are not replaceable. We like old cars. Anyone who could not save it for you would wish to know it was saved.

Edited by MilesFox, 15 August 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#8 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

So when you crank the engine does it sound like it has compression?

#9 zmarrott

zmarrott

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Yuma, AZ

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

if your looking to get rid of it, how much do you want? im over in lakeville and desperately looking for certain parts to restore my 86 brat gl

#10 Tofutti

Tofutti

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cabot, Vermont

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

^^ I second "if your looking to get rid of it, how much do you want?" and preface that with: What's the rest of the car like? How bad is the body?

#11 apintonut

apintonut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • ravensdale wa

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

Pic? Location?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users