Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I replaced the cabin filter yesterday and now the front running lights and taillights don't turn off. I wrnt out last night and saw them on, couldn't get them off so I disconnected the battery. Help

read about the parking button on the steering column... switched it off... problem solved.

Edited by Rita

Welcome to this forum. Glad to have you on board.

I am guessing that you may have accidentally turned on the parking lights. It is a little toggle switch on top side of the steering column. Flipping the switch the other direction should turn off the lights. This is a frequently asked question on this forum. Others have done as you have.

What is the purpose of the switch other than to drain the battery?

Maybe more of a Japanese or a European thing. I have never used mine, or have heard of anyone else using theirs. I have owned other Japanese cars, but can't remember the special parking light switch on those cars.

What is the purpose of the switch other than to drain the battery?

How else will you run the parking lamps without leaving the key in the car? Some jurisdictions require that parking lights be on in certain environments. 

It's a good idea if you are parked near a public roadway at night if you are not running the car so traffic can see your car.

• Like 1