Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fast Idle Cam

I have 1987 subaru gl 1.8 l 2-bbl carburator. I had it tuned up last week.  The fast idle no longer works when engine is cold. I have to use accelerator to raise RPM'S.till warm.Doesn't the fast idle cam control that?Did something come loose or break?Does any one know anything about  Subaru gl carbs or how a fast idle cam works.No one in this town does.  Need your help winter is coming!     Thanks

Why doesn't anyone know how to set  choke and idle on Subaru gl.It won't idle when engine cold.It has something that looks like a round cannister with a L shaped arm that hooks onto the throttle but it doesn't seem to retract or move.Can you tell me what is called so i find a new one.There were over 30 views on this topic but only 3 replys that were of no help.Is there anyone in this country that knows this stuff?  Thanks for viewing!  Used Car.....

It sounds like you are looking at the ac idle up, not the choke fast idle. Brumby is probably correct if you fiddled around the carb any during your "tune up". Gloyale  may be correct also, did you actually look?

Most people are like me, they may look at a thread but if they don't know an answer they keep their mouths shut and move on.

Instead of being an a$$ just say that didn't work or that's not it and ask for more suggestions and just for you info yes I know what I am doing. I have almost 45 years as a mechanic and have worked on Subarus for 15.

Edited by silverhelme

Why doesn't anyone know how to set  choke and idle on Subaru gl.It won't idle when engine cold.It has something that looks like a round cannister with a L shaped arm that hooks onto the throttle but it doesn't seem to retract or move.Can you tell me what is called so i find a new one.There were over 30 views on this topic but only 3 replys that were of no help.Is there anyone in this country that knows this stuff?  Thanks for viewing!  Used Car.....

You are looking at the Idle up for the A/C.  That should not have anything to do with the choke or fast idle except when the A/C is on.

You need to take of the choke housing, may need to drill out rivets......But take it off, and inspect the bi metal coil in there for damage. Do this before starting engine, cold in the morning. The common one is for the hooked end to break off. 

You can bend a new hook, and then rotate the housing to correct the adjustment.

You will need to grind or srcape off the small nub in the choke housing to be able to rotate it.  You should also loosen the clamped on arm that goes to the fast idle cam, and let it slip until you get the spring clocked right.  Then reset the fast idle cam arm.

You may want to set it for halfway choked with these temps.....so it will be fully choked when it gets cold.