Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it possible to mate an EA81 to 97 impreza?

I want the best of both worlds: -EA81 w/97 trans, running gear, car. Has anyone done this? I really like the Impreza OB sport, but can't afford any w/ under 200K miles...and i love my EA81's. Please redirect my post if this is the wrong forum...

If you take a trans from 90-93 loyale remove guts and use your impreza trans guts in your loyale case gives you a awd trans with ea81-82 bolt up the engine whould fitt sloting mount holes might need to be done. Loyale clutch / flywheel and a ton of time making hoses ect work but could be done will be a gutless wonder but cheap on gas

• Like 1

The EA81 can do it. In my old 83 wagon it did just fine with 4 people and a bunch of gear in the car. Just really slow going up the hills.

I'll be the first to ask why? The EJ18 or EJ22 that comes in the Impreza is just as reliable as the EA81. I drive a 97 Impreza Outback with the 2.2 It just recently turned 275,000 miles. It turned that 275 in the Mojave Desert about 3/4 of the way through a 2200 mile road trip out here to California. Not just that, but it did that with a lift, 215/75/15 tires while towing a 14 foot boat. (Both boat and car were pretty loaded down for the move.) and made it up and down the Rocky Mountains under such a load.

it's a Subaru! I wouldn't be scared by the mileage and think because you have a running car with 200k+ that you need to put a lower miles motor in there. Just look the car over to be sure it's been maintained and is running as it should and drive it! My wife's outback was purchased a few years ago with well over 200k. It's now at 331,000 and going strong. Mileage is not generally something to be feared in Subaru's.

If there are other reasons, disregard this, but from the OP it looked like mileage was the issue. Just find a good runner and keep it going! EA81 is a great engine, but that's a lot of work to go to a much weaker motor. Not to mention the little details of matching fuel pumps etc. to it.

Edited by AdventureSubaru
  • Like 1

when you add an EJ to the EA trans you need a spacer, the reverse would be true for the EA to EJ trans, the engine wouldnt go far enough into the bell housing.  

with the EJ swap dont you use XT6 clutch to make up the inside distance?  could you do that with this one as well?

when you add an EJ to the EA trans you need a spacer, the reverse would be true for the EA to EJ trans, the engine wouldnt go far enough into the bell housing.  

with the EJ swap dont you use XT6 clutch to make up the inside distance?  could you do that with this one as well?

Ahah... I see. That is a problem....

You'd just need to put a EA trans in too.

Or like Ivan said EJ AWD trans guts into an EA case.  Install the 25 spline stubs too so stock IMP axles will work.

EA clutch.

I still think an Imp with an EJ18 would be better, but the EA81 is super simple to work on.

keep an EA trans sounds simplest.

compare weights of the vehicles?

different in a few ways but i put an EJ18 into a 96 legacy sedan and castrated it to FWD auto while i was at it.  it drives fine (gutless) in flatland and by myself as i've been doing for years and many miles now. but living in the mountains, i can't run 205 55/16 tires, common on many subarus, the gearing kills it, with 4 passengers it can only hold 2nd gear up the steepest mountain grades. 

lets see 4 speed deul range 96 impreza 4 dr with ea81 tbi i would drive it no speeding tickets

lol.  you get tickets....gotta go 90 down the mountains to make up for the 45 going up

• 5 years later...
On 8/16/2013 at 10:51 PM, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

Years ago, I saw a first gen FWD Legacy with an EA82...

So, Why not an EA81 Impreza?

It might be a Good commuter vehicle... and a Sluggish Econobox for sure.

Kind Regards.

Somethin' like this one:

~► https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/50983-strange-and-weird-subaru-stuff/?page=97&tab=comments#comment-1402070

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
The web link was incorrectly displayed

I'd wager that nothing happened with this build. But swapping phase 1 ej awd guts into an ea82 single range 4wd transmission case works. I did one behind the ea81t that was in my old hardtop for a while before I ej swapped it.