Ultimate Subaru Message Board

non-thread repair options for a stripped rear diff ring gear bolt?

one (of course) rear diff ring gear bolt stripped.  the obvious solution is repair the threads, but what do the following "non thread repair" options look like, because I highly doubt i'm doing thread repair on this:

1. leave the stripped bolt out? this is where I'm leaning, it's my daily driver XT6 so i'm not too concerned.

2. leave two out - 180 degrees apart for balance?  i doubt balance here is critical concern.

3. leave it in and locktite the snot out of it.  ithis sounds like an awful option.

it already has locktite so i wonder if i'll even be able to tell which one is stripped....?

rather than standard 1.25 thread it's 1.00?  i doubt i'll buy that weirdo sized inserts i'll never use again.

I think that 3 should be dismissed out of hand.  Having a hardened steel jumping-jack bouncing around inside the diff sounds like no fun.

I think either options 1 or 2 would be acceptable.  I would probably opt for 1, as the radius from center is small (70 or 80 mms??), the mass around it is great and it is not "unsprung mass", subject to harmonics from a sprung mount.

Option 2 is probably fine, since you don't strike me as someone likely to try to do an AWD burn out.  The R160s were used in Datsun 240Zs back when BRE was racing them, so they probably have a lot of margin of safety in the strength department.

I think that 3 should be dismissed out of hand.  Having a hardened steel jumping-jack bouncing around inside the diff sounds like no fun.

I think either options 1 or 2 would be acceptable.  I would probably opt for 1, as the radius from center is small (70 or 80 mms??), the mass around it is great and it is not "unsprung mass", subject to harmonics from a sprung mount.

Option 2 is probably fine, since you don't strike me as someone likely to try to do an AWD burn out.  The R160s were used in Datsun 240Zs back when BRE was racing them, so they probably have a lot of margin of safety in the strength department.

thanks, i love hearing what i want to hear!

i'll take the one out and be done with it, i've ran enough uneven bolt patterns on rotating assemblies to think this doesn't matter and your unsprung whatchamaharmonic intertia stuff suggests the same. lol

*hopefully* i can figure out which one it is now that i left it in and the locktite has hardened.  that'll be the hard part. 

you are correct.  burnouts and drifting are things i don't know how to do. LOL

thanks, i love hearing what i want to hear!

i'll take the one out and be done with it, i've ran enough uneven bolt patterns on rotating assemblies to think this doesn't matter and your unsprung whatchamaharmonic intertia stuff suggests the same. lol

*hopefully* i can figure out which one it is now that i left it in and the locktite has hardened.  that'll be the hard part. 

you are correct.  burnouts and drifting are things i don't know how to do. LOL

I would go for option one, option two would also work but probably isn't necessary. I would pass on option 3, too risky.

Edited by Crazyeights

id avoid welding it.  gears would probably have a heat treatment to make them wear longer, the heat may mess it up.  when you weld the carrier the ring gear is off (everytime I have seen someone do it, though i guess you dont have to.).  you just weld some of the the gears inside the carrier.

you could probably just put a few tacks in the bolt safely, but the same thing applies as number 3.  id just run without.