Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

non-thread repair options for a stripped rear diff ring gear bolt?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,605 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

one (of course) rear diff ring gear bolt stripped.  the obvious solution is repair the threads, but what do the following "non thread repair" options look like, because I highly doubt i'm doing thread repair on this:

1. leave the stripped bolt out? this is where I'm leaning, it's my daily driver XT6 so i'm not too concerned.

2. leave two out - 180 degrees apart for balance?  i doubt balance here is critical concern.

3. leave it in and locktite the snot out of it.  ithis sounds like an awful option.

it already has locktite so i wonder if i'll even be able to tell which one is stripped....?

rather than standard 1.25 thread it's 1.00?  i doubt i'll buy that weirdo sized inserts i'll never use again.

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

I think that 3 should be dismissed out of hand.  Having a hardened steel jumping-jack bouncing around inside the diff sounds like no fun.

I think either options 1 or 2 would be acceptable.  I would probably opt for 1, as the radius from center is small (70 or 80 mms??), the mass around it is great and it is not "unsprung mass", subject to harmonics from a sprung mount.

Option 2 is probably fine, since you don't strike me as someone likely to try to do an AWD burn out.  The R160s were used in Datsun 240Zs back when BRE was racing them, so they probably have a lot of margin of safety in the strength department.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,605 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

I think that 3 should be dismissed out of hand.  Having a hardened steel jumping-jack bouncing around inside the diff sounds like no fun.

I think either options 1 or 2 would be acceptable.  I would probably opt for 1, as the radius from center is small (70 or 80 mms??), the mass around it is great and it is not "unsprung mass", subject to harmonics from a sprung mount.

Option 2 is probably fine, since you don't strike me as someone likely to try to do an AWD burn out.  The R160s were used in Datsun 240Zs back when BRE was racing them, so they probably have a lot of margin of safety in the strength department.

thanks, i love hearing what i want to hear!

i'll take the one out and be done with it, i've ran enough uneven bolt patterns on rotating assemblies to think this doesn't matter and your unsprung whatchamaharmonic intertia stuff suggests the same. lol

*hopefully* i can figure out which one it is now that i left it in and the locktite has hardened.  that'll be the hard part. 

you are correct.  burnouts and drifting are things i don't know how to do. LOL

#4 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • PNW

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

thanks, i love hearing what i want to hear!

i'll take the one out and be done with it, i've ran enough uneven bolt patterns on rotating assemblies to think this doesn't matter and your unsprung whatchamaharmonic intertia stuff suggests the same. lol

*hopefully* i can figure out which one it is now that i left it in and the locktite has hardened.  that'll be the hard part. 

you are correct.  burnouts and drifting are things i don't know how to do. LOL

I would go for option one, option two would also work but probably isn't necessary. I would pass on option 3, too risky.

Edited by Crazyeights, 16 August 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,605 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

one bolt is likely what i'll go with but if anyone else has this come up...weld it?  

offroad folks weld their opens diffsso likewise may be able to weld the bolt in place?

#6 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

slap it back together without.

If you have a vibration, easiest solution is to weld it in.  

#7 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

id avoid welding it.  gears would probably have a heat treatment to make them wear longer, the heat may mess it up.  when you weld the carrier the ring gear is off (everytime I have seen someone do it, though i guess you dont have to.).  you just weld some of the the gears inside the carrier.

you could probably just put a few tacks in the bolt safely, but the same thing applies as number 3.  id just run without.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,804 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

1 or 2 woudl both work, but really is it worth it wondering?

Just grab a diff outta a GL and slap it in. 

3.9 correct?  Dime a Dozen.  Or is it an LSD?

#9 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,605 posts
  • WV

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just grab a diff outta a GL and slap it in. 

3.9 correct?  Dime a Dozen.  Or is it an LSD?

LSD

Edited by grossgary, 18 August 2013 - 12:15 AM.

#10 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • PNW

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

A quick tack weld on the bolt head like mentioned above would also be a really good solution (and quite reversible). I think you could be quick enough to not worry about the heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users