Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 SPFI

Conversion complete. engine was running well prior to conversion. Had a mate (El Freddo) attend today to analyse why it wasnt starting.

After timing and firing order was confirmed as ok, timing put on TDC.  Fuel pump working. ECU has no codes as trouble. Engine kicked with bit  of fuel drop down the throat as if wanting to start. has spark.  ElFreddo thinks the injector or regulator has a problem will seek out an expert to assess this.

Asking if anyone has had injector trouble or fuel regulator problems??  Before I take off the throttle body are there any suggestions.

Dumb question, can't remember if you stated it clearly before, too lazy/tired/time-constrained to look back, so apologies in advance:

Are you using the EA81 distributor or the SPFI one?

Second question: Is it possible that you swapped the fuel feed and fuel return lines?  It is easy to do (guess how I know?), and will cause all manner of confusion.

Edited by NorthWet

SPFI dizzy used and it was supplied modified in the kit.  Kit was purchased from a local guy in Melbourne that lost interest.  The return is on the top and have jumped the fuel pump lead to find the fuel pumps straight through to the tank so all ok there.

Ignition amplifier module?  cant say I've come across that one.  We do have spark though and the engine kicks when a small amount of fuel is poured down the throat.

IMG_0002-26.jpg

IMG_0004-18.jpg

Hence our suspicion that the injector or fuel regulator isnt working correctly.

I have temp connected the fuel pump so it is pumping through to the tank and tried to start it with no success.   Thanks guys.

Edited by tweety

"Ignition amplifier" aka Ignitor, aka the transistor that switches the coil to ground.  On a stock setup, it is mounted to the coil bracket.  If you have spark, and supplemental fuel causes a response, then the ignitor/ignition is not the major problem.

I don't recall regulators being much of an issue, though I imagine a couple members have replaced bad ones.  I do recall a few posts asking for replacement injectors, though I can recall only 1 that said whether it helped (yes) or not.

Distributor electronics/signals seem to be a more common cause.  No rotational/positional data, no injection.

The MAF and/or it's wiring could also affect things.

I hate to over simplify your issue but you said when gas is poured into the intake it tries to start.  When I was troubleshooting a bad injector the engine would fire right up no question then die quickly when fuel was burnt.  You said it tries to start.  I might retry this test again and see if it runs or tries to start.  The engine should flat run then die....

If this is incorrect thinking I apologize,

Eric

I think your PCV hoses are hooked up incorrect.  There should be a "T" in there to bring the hose over from the other side. 

Where is your IAC hose hooked up?

Either of these being wrong could cause an unmetered air leak throwing off the MAF signal.

So i have a 81 tbi brat have done the convertion my self #1 what year is your efi ? it runs 85-88 and 88-94 one uses injector resistor one dosent. The ecus are different diss same injectors same maff same wire harness diff. injectors / regulators very reliabble dobutfull diss very problematic has it been apart inside ? also i check injector pulse with diss out spin the shaft should fire injector if not wireing not right { must ground diss body with jumper wire ] The diss gives spark signal AND injector pulse signal Will run with bad maff bad coolant temp ect only feul injector pulse or spark will make no start. when cranked dose injector tick and spray will not start with boot off but will spray.

thankyou guys for your input.  A sticky injector seems the reason.  Hot wired the fuel pump then hot wored the injector positive and it clicked but no spray.  Clicked it several times and presto.  Spray!!!. looks like a fair bit of injector cleaner the first few tank fulls is in order.

After start I had time to do the timing (my radiator was out waiting for a replacement) to 20 degrees and rev it. Was very rich, black smoke everywhere then it settled and runs great.  thanks again. much appreciated.

th_Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Injector was stuck must have sat around there is a screen around it to keep debrie out. The tbi ea81 in my brat makes about 10 -20 %more power and very mutch better runability and throttle response seems to run out around 6500 rpms but its just making noise after 5000 anyway glad you got it working. I did have to make my own tdc marks i drilled a hole exactly were the pointer whould be on ea82 car for timing reference

thanks ivan imports.  with the adapter plate the timing marks go out with the flywheel..  but the crank pulley has 360mm circumference so 1mm is 1 degree.  hence 20mm = 20 degrees.  will be making up my own timing marks also.  being out of a car from Alaska who know how long it was sitting idle.  regards