Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Brat Front Strut Mounts

Hello all! Been awhile since I have posted, but I need some help!!

I have searched high and low for replacement strut mounts for my 1978 Brat. It seems that some of my searching shows that a 2nd gen brat strut mount (Part #902931 / or KYB #SM5365) would fit (it looks the same). But I am not sure because the manufacturers websites say that it will not fit 1978. Some websites say the it will fit 1981 Brat (same body style) but is this a different mount to the body? Searching through post on here didn't help much. The rubber is seperated on my old mounts. One posting mentioned that Gorilla gluing the seperated rubber would work? I don't know about this. It seems that the rubber on mine is quite brittle (probably original). If anyone that has a spare 2nd gen strut mount lying around, could you check the measurements and space between the bolts? I could compare to mine. Thanks!!

-Steve in Denver

I Have installed them on my 79 and they are better,

the ge 1 struts are cased inside the strut assembly and can be removed whereas the Gen 2 seem to be integrated into the spring assembly. I did not try to open it as i wanted the spring adjustment offered on the 2nd gen brat strut. they bolt right up but with the guide bolt hole keeping the bottom of the strut from seating all the way down. the brake line bracket is welded to the strut also instead of bolted on with the guide bolt.  they will hit on the brake line. I grinded those off . I bolted them down and they held just fine for a few months until i extended them for more lift. The 2nd gen struts are far superior to the first and with slight modification will fit great.

I hope this will help.