Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY00 Forester, oil light flicker on hard stops

So my DD Forester, 230k miles on original engine, I've only had it about a month. Just noticed in the last couple of days that the oil light comes on every now and again if I make a harder stop. Oil level is normal, I just changed it 2 weeks ago. Oil pump is not seeping anything (Not to say the backing plate hasn't come loose inside), and the engine actually doesn't leak or seep ANY oil from what I can tell so far. I need to hook up my oil pressure gauge and see what she looks like at idle on up I guess.

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's a wonky sensor or something, but I'm leaning towards pulling the oil pump and seeing what I find inside.

Edited by cal_look_zero

I am thinking your oil pressure is going to be low because of engine wear at 230K miles. Try going to a heavier weight oil, like 10W-40W, or 20W-50W, could be a cheap fix the problem. However, if you live in the cold in the winter, then 20W-50W should not be used at low temps.

I am thinking your oil pressure is going to be low because of engine wear at 230K miles. Try going to a heavier weight oil, like 10W-40W, or 20W-50W, could be a cheap fix the problem. However, if you live in the cold in the winter, then 20W-50W should not be used at low temps.

I already run 15w40 Rotella T year round. I've had a couple 300k+ Ej cars that didn't flicker the oil light. I saw nothing in the oil when i changed it to indicate bearing failure or anything, so I guess I'll just gauge it to make sure everything is good, and run it from there.