Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think you're suppose to replace (bleed) the brake fluid every 60k/5years (or something like that). If the fluid is dark, it would be a good idea to replace it with new fluid (dot 3/4 from an un-opened container).

Easy to do with 2-people, or grab some speedbleeders, or a mityvac, and do it yourself.

I would assume you removed a brake line which introduced air into the system. Otherewise it is a good idea to flush the brake fluid every once in a while as brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmospher and can cause the brake lines to rust out or caliper pistons to seize.

I would assume you removed a brake line
if this is not true, just try pumping them up until they firm up.

the install process of new pads forces the fluid back up into the master cylinder.
until you have pumped the lines full again and re-seated the pads, the pedal will have a lot of travel.
but a few pumps should correct it.

if you did remove the brake line then ... yes, bleed the brakes.
  • Like 1

The sensor is a little scratched up. Would that cause a sudden rapid vibrations in my break peddle? It feels like I'm applying normal pressure to my brakes then all of a sudden the rapid flutter in my peddle would appear. If the ABS wouldn't cause that kind of a problem then what would?

very odd symptoms, maybe you have a wheel that is dragging and the small extra brake pressure is locking it up, engaging the ABS? I dunno what the symptoms would be like if there was air in the ABS lines but, perhaps you need a very extensive bleed of the entire system, or a vacuum bleed or ???

do all the wheels turn freely with no odd sounds?

Yeah I have full control of my wheels with no struggle...Its very odd that I have encountered these symptoms. I have never experienced them before with any car. I thought at first it was just I need to change my rotors and pads and I did but the symptoms came back a little worse than before. So my guess its from the lack of bleeding the brakes. But i'm no Subaru Guru haha

Thanks for all the info folks! It's been really helpful! :D