Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brake problems on my Legacy...

Brakes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Savagelegy2000

Savagelegy2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Auburn, WA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

I just put new rotors and pads on my 2000 legacy GT and I have no brake pressure at all. I have to put the brake peddle to the floor before it even starts to slow down. I checked my fluid levels and they look fine. PLEASE HELP!! 

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Did you bleed them out. The brake systerm is dual diagonal. Bleed out in this order: RR, LF, LR, RF

If the master cylinder went dry, you may have to bleed it out first.

#3 Savagelegy2000

Savagelegy2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Auburn, WA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thanks MilesFox! How often should I bleed my brakes? As needed?

#4 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

I think you're suppose to replace (bleed) the brake fluid every 60k/5years (or something like that). If the fluid is dark, it would be a good idea to replace it with new fluid (dot 3/4 from an un-opened container).

Easy to do with 2-people, or grab some speedbleeders, or a mityvac, and do it yourself.

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I would assume you removed a brake line which introduced air into the system. Otherewise it is a good idea to flush the brake fluid every once in a while as brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmospher and can cause the brake lines to rust out or caliper pistons to seize.

#6 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

I would assume you removed a brake line
if this is not true, just try pumping them up until they firm up.

the install process of new pads forces the fluid back up into the master cylinder.
until you have pumped the lines full again and re-seated the pads, the pedal will have a lot of travel.
but a few pumps should correct it.

if you did remove the brake line then ... yes, bleed the brakes.

#7 Savagelegy2000

Savagelegy2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Auburn, WA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Oh and another question as well. I noticed there was some kind of sensor on the front passenger side set up. What exactly is that and what does it do?

#8 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

ABS, anti-lock brake system, that is the wheel sensor.

don't muck it up.

#9 Savagelegy2000

Savagelegy2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Auburn, WA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

The sensor is a little scratched up. Would that cause a sudden rapid vibrations in my break peddle? It feels like I'm applying normal pressure to my brakes then all of a sudden the rapid flutter in my peddle would appear. If the ABS wouldn't cause that kind of a problem then what would?

#10 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,803 posts
  • Texas

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

very odd symptoms, maybe you have a wheel that is dragging and the small extra brake pressure is locking it up, engaging the ABS? I dunno what the symptoms would be like if there was air in the ABS lines but, perhaps you need a very extensive bleed of the entire system, or a vacuum bleed or ???

do all the wheels turn freely with no odd sounds?

#11 Savagelegy2000

Savagelegy2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Auburn, WA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Yeah I have full control of my wheels with no struggle...Its very odd that I have encountered these symptoms. I have never experienced them before with any car. I thought at first it was just I need to change my rotors and pads and I did but the symptoms came back a little worse than before. So my guess its from the lack of bleeding the brakes. But i'm no Subaru Guru haha

Thanks for all the info folks! It's been really helpful! :D  

#12 Savagelegy2000

Savagelegy2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Auburn, WA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Ok so I bled the brakes and it didn't change it much sadly  :( I have't checked the master cylinder yet. Would that be my next step? 

#13 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Ok so I bled the brakes and it didn't change it much sadly  :( I have't checked the master cylinder yet. Would that be my next step? 

I would imagine that assuming there's enough fluid, the brakes have been bled completely, the master cylinder would be the next step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users