Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd Light on but not in 4wd

Well I'm still pretty new to the community but I've read many different posts and I have traced vacuum lines and all are connected. The lights are on but I'm pretty sure it's not in 4wd. I say this cause the other day I got the front tire to slip on a paint mark at a red light. I have this connector down by my feet next to the door that has some wires ripped out (will get a picture as soon as possible) and I'm going to fix this and see if that helps but if anybody has any other explanation or a post that can help please do! Thanks again!

Edited by spacesalmon

I take it you have a pushbutton 4wd? Try reversing the vacuum lines from the trans diaphragm on the solenoids as it may be connected backwards. IF the solenoid is not working, you can manipulate the 4wd off and on by reversing the lines each way.

otherwise there could be a short in the 4wd (sensor) switch on the trans

If it is not any of that, maybe one of the rear axles is broken. 

Edited by MilesFox

Also what type of fluid should I put in the transmission? I saw 75w90 but cannot be limited slip but all I can find is limited slip lol. Still diagnosing the 4wd. Yes it is a push button and I have messed with the input shaft on the transmission could you possibly tell me which is 4wd and which is 2wd forward or backwards on the pivot?

Edited by spacesalmon