Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

stuck gas cap cover

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tubehead.ed

Tubehead.ed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • PNW

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Ok, I have a  '87 waggon , my son has it at college ( 2+ hours away) . He called to say the gas cap cover won't release. Any suggestions as how he can pop it open with damaging the metal ? I was hoping to get it home this weekend so I could look at it myself if he has enough  gas in it..... Thanks guys!

#2 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

don't force it, see if you can pop the release with something thin from the outside. im not to sure of the desghin on that year, does it release from the inside or the outside, if its the release from the inside then you might have to have one person hold the release and another carefully pry on the door. i have seen them get sticky and not want to open before, you might want to try cleaning it a bit and lubing it up with some wd40

Edited by mikaleda, 21 August 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#3 Tubehead.ed

Tubehead.ed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • PNW

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, I don't want to force it, and I don't recall what it looks like or how it is designed, I believe it is an inside release. I'm hoping he has enough gas to make it home! Thanks for the suggestion of holding the release open while another person gently pries  the door.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,295 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

You should be able to pop it open with a butter knife or similar. It is just a plastic peg that holds it closed. slip the knife in there and it will push the peg in releasing the fuel door. The only thing you have to worry about is chipping the paint. wrap the knife in tape or a rag or similar.

once open see of the peg is moving freely or with the cable. You could wrap tape or sililar around the latch to keep it from locking again if the cable is shot.

#5 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Have your son try pushing the release down (since I'm assuming it's an EA82?) while a friend gently pushes IN on the cover. Sometimes the tension on the peg is enough to keep it from withdrawing.

After that, a painter's stirring stick and a little persuasion will do it. (Had ice seal it close one year... oy)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users