Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy GT AWD 'AT Oil Temp' light

Hey everyone--excuse my ignorance as I post here for the first time...I just--just--bought a used 2000 Legacy GT, 120xxx miles on it. I was driving it to work and upon pulling into the parking lot, the "AT Oil Temp' light came on. I have the receipt where the trans. was flushed last September. Not mechanically inclined but didn't know if anyone could point me the right direction so I don't get screwed by whoever I take it to to look at. Any insight appreciated, thanks!

came on steady?

or flashing?

does it flash 16 times at start up?

how does it drive?

do you have an owners manual?

typically the light is associated with an electrical fault in the trans.

but yours maybe a bad temp sensor, or fluid that is too hot, or ......

check the ATF color, level and smell on the dipstick.

Edited by johnceggleston

Hey everyone--excuse my ignorance as I post here for the first time...I just--just--bought a used 2000 Legacy GT, 120xxx miles on it. I was driving it to work and upon pulling into the parking lot, the "AT Oil Temp' light came on. I have the receipt where the trans. was flushed last September. Not mechanically inclined but didn't know if anyone could point me the right direction so I don't get screwed by whoever I take it to to look at. Any insight appreciated, thanks!

Hail, cazenovia!

I work in East Syracuse.

There is a thread here on how to pull 4EAT trans codes, easiest thing to do is google

subaru 4eat transmission codes

Dave

came on steady?

or flashing?

does it flash 16 times at start up?

how does it drive?

do you have an owners manual?

typically the light is associated with an electrical fault in the trans.

but yours maybe a bad temp sensor, or fluid that is too hot, or ......

check the ATF color, level and smell on the dipstick.

So the light came on steady and then I have driven it four separate occasions since then and it is off now...but now that it's off, the check engine light is on :blink: . Not what I was hoping when picking the car up haha. ATF color/level/smell all good. I will take a look regarding electrical fault--thank you!

Hail, cazenovia!

I work in East Syracuse.

There is a thread here on how to pull 4EAT trans codes, easiest thing to do is google

subaru 4eat transmission codes

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for the response. Any suggestions for somewhere to bring my car to look it over in East Syracuse or Cazenovia way? I work in the city and, again, this is my first Subaru so i'm out of touch with this world haha. Previously had a Jetta that i'm missing, thus far!

have the CEL code read at the parts store.

be sure to get the Pxxxx number, not just he description the guy uses like, ''it's your catalytic converter''.

it will probably point you in the correct direction.

the only thing the owners manual says :

''fluid may be too hot, if the light comes on while driving, avoid steep hills.''

''no need to stop driving.''

if the AT Temp light is not flashing at start up, you probably do not have an electrical fault in the trans.

were you driving it hard when the light came on, or just before?

have the CEL code read at the parts store.

be sure to get the Pxxxx number, not just he description the guy uses like, ''it's your catalytic converter''.

it will probably point you in the correct direction.

the only thing the owners manual says :

''fluid may be too hot, if the light comes on while driving, avoid steep hills.''

''no need to stop driving.''

if the AT Temp light is not flashing at start up, you probably do not have an electrical fault in the trans.

were you driving it hard when the light came on, or just before?

No, not driving it hard, but a lot of stop and go through city stoplights...AT light went off, check engine light on. Going to take it to the shop to see what's going on with the codes, will be back with results.