Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 XT GL - 4WD actuator hoses unplugged from ?

They are unplugged and I can't find from where.  Many say they connect behind the drivers strut tower but I can't find anything anywhere under the hood.  I unplugged them during my EJ swap and I'm wondering if they were connected to the motor that I pulled in some way.  But I can't find anywhere to connect them on the motor either.  Any ideas??

Those are the solenoids.

There is another section of wiring harness for them though. About 10" long, all taped up, with matching White connectors that plugs between body harness and solenoids. That section of harness contains 2 diodes under all of the tape.

• 1 month later...

Those are the solenoids.

There is another section of wiring harness for them though. About 10" long, all taped up, with matching White connectors that plugs between body harness and solenoids. That section of harness contains 2 diodes under all of the tape.

I'm 99% sure that part was not there when I got the car.  4wd did work before the swap.  The two solenoid hoses that connect together with a check valve slightly downstream: where does the bottom end of that hose connect to? If anything...

Edited by redXTwedgie

Should be a plastic vacume storage tank on fenderwell vacume to tank then to 4x4 soiliniond used long plastic lines just below the valance one side is 4x4 on one side is 4x4 off the vacume storage tank is important or will drop out of 4x4 under long accerations as engine makes low vacume at full trottle apps

Should be a plastic vacume storage tank on fenderwell vacume to tank then to 4x4 soiliniond used long plastic lines just below the valance one side is 4x4 on one side is 4x4 off the vacume storage tank is important or will drop out of 4x4 under long accerations as engine makes low vacume at full trottle apps

Thanks bro.  You rock!  

Ideally, you would want to run vac line to a storage canister, then out to the solenoids. Use a check valve in the line from vac source to canister.

But with that said, I have the solenoid vac supply "Tee'd" in to the vac line to the canister line, before the canister.

Not sure as to the "why" of it, but if I put the solenoid line after the canister, it messes with my heater controls. I'm running an XT6 FT4WD trans in mine, but the controls are identical between it and the Pushbutton 4WD trans.

• 2 weeks later...