Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lets play, Name these electrical do-dads!!

So

I'm pruning down the EA82T harness in preparation to merge it with the Brat harness. The FSM is failing me. The coveted wiring diagrams have no color codes and seem to be inaccurate.

Is there a better wiring diagram available for an 85 EA82T? Maybe with wire colors indicated and pin-out diagrams for the connectors?

In the mean time, who can tell me what these two do-dads are? Relays I assume but maybe you can tell me which ones?

The pic with the four round relays(?) seems to have come from under the dash and the other is two relays and a fuse or breaker type thing labled 15A and seems to have been under the hood (rubber boots over the relays and it's sort of dirty).

Part of my difficulty in this is that I got the harness in a box, a very large box. I didn't pull the harness so I have very little knowledg of where things came from. I am slowly untangling it and identifying connectors and cutting out anything I don't need (lights, horn, AC, etc).

what are these damn things

thanks in advance for your expert advice

garner

post-1808-136027592164_thumb.jpg

post-1808-136027592168_thumb.jpg

So, do ou know what said relays control? If I am right I believe 2 may be High beam relays and the other.

any ideas on the other do-dad?

btw, I thought you you were coming through eugene sometime but had to postpone. Let me know if you do get down this way

garner

Its a huge game with that wiring stuff, i just pulled everything off like lights, and horn and a/c and so on, but thigns are working and going well, just took some time to get thigns like the tac, and some other sensors to show the proper responses for the 78 brat but thing are jsut a little slow at the time but working out slowly when i have time and getting it together.

Good luck, i think i only needed one or two of those relays if memory serves me right i think one was for fuel , and the other was something with the computer , dont remember but i know that i had to have one or two of them in order to get what i needed outside under the hood like fire, and injector pulse. so i again i am not too sure, i played that game and will definately make sure i keep notes next time when i do that, shame on me icon9.gif

The way I sorted out the wiring for the ER-27/MPFI ECU, was to start at the ECU itself, and trace down the wires. I have a couple of diagrams for it, but could have used a bit more. Even if the color codes don't quiet match up, you can ID what each wire goes to, or comes from.

You will need 2 relays to run the engine. One is the ignition relay, the other is the fuel pump relay.

I can't ID which relay does what from the pics, and have no-clue as to what the booted items are. I'm fairly new to Soobs, and I'm just now getting into the FI wiring stuff.

Yeah that is pretty much what i did also Tom, i just untaped everything, grabbed the ecu plugs, and started following what i needed and started putting tape around a bunch of wires that i needed , and pulled the rest. then if there was something i didnt need , after the instalation for instance, cruise, ac and so on, i just pulled them afterwards. it probably would have been easier if i had marked the connectors before i pulled them out of the car, but i was planning on using the whole harness, lights and all into the brat, but Chris wanted to use the brat harness for the lights and accessories, and just tap into it at the alternator, and just powered the new harness at the battery with a fuesable link. with the hot wires i had going to the battery that i needed. i didnt use the fuel circuit with the ea82t motor , i made my own and just ran the wires through some hose all the way back to the fiat pump. the brat seems to run fine with the stock fuel lines of the brat, but i had to use some heavy duty fuel line for the rubber parts. next on my list for upgrades is to find a fuse box that uses the plastic fuses found in the wagon, and pull the wires from the brat fuse panel, and attach them to one of those so that i can get rid of the poor contacts with the brat fuse panel, as cleaning them doesnt seem to do much , they just corrode back up, even applied dielectric grease , didnt help much.

None of the relays in that set are for fuel or ignition.. Don't remember what they are for right off the top of my head, but, (when still installed in the car the harness came from) there is a set of 4 relays to the left of the steering column.. Thats what you have shown in the pic. then, there is a pair od relays that mounts right above the steering column. Those two are fuel and ignition relays. I believe the ones you have shown are headlights and such.