Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 DL FWD AT to MT

Would it be possible to convert a FWD 89 DL from automatic to a manual? I would like it to at-least get up to highway speeds. The 72 mph top speed sucks, and even then I don't want to run it for a long time reved up that high.

Would it be easier to install a 4 speed AT or just swap to a manual?

Edited by Ionstorm66

Honestly, running it at high revs like that is a non issue, unless you're worried about fuel consumption. This issue has been discussed beeper if you'd like to search in it. They'll hold 4k rams all day without a complaint, and 4k is 68.

Top speed of 72? I've hit 100 in one of them. Push the pedal further down :P.

Very hard to find the 4 speed autos. 5 speed swap is a better choice.

It would b e easiest to swap to a manual. Swapping to a 4eat would require the TCU and harness, which has to integrate into the engine harness. A manual trans is simply a bolt on affair, considering you have all the associated parts.

The problem with the 3at is these cars were built when there was a fedeal 55mph speed limit, and this the trans' are geared for such

Edited by MilesFox

Like miles says above, the car want really designed for higher speeds, but it's definitely capable of them. I assure you they can go faster than what you think.

The only reason it wouldn't be able to its if it's not running well. Check your timing, give it a tune up or at least new spark plugs. Check and change your fuel filters.

And about the swap, the 3 speed auto is all mechanically operated, while the 4 speed had electronic components and that is why it would be more work to install. The 5 speed are just like your 3 auto in that they too are all mechanical.

If you want to do the swap because you just want to, by all means do so, if it's just because of the reasons you mentioned above, the transmission isn't really your problem. For one or more reasons your car isn't producing the power it should be if you can't go over 75. Especially downhill.

Like miles says above, the car want really designed for higher speeds, but it's definitely capable of them. I assure you they can go faster than what you think.

The only reason it wouldn't be able to its if it's not running well. Check your timing, give it a tune up or at least new spark plugs. Check and change your fuel filters.

And about the swap, the 3 speed auto is all mechanically operated, while the 4 speed had electronic components and that is why it would be more work to install. The 5 speed are just like your 3 auto in that they too are all mechanical.

If you want to do the swap because you just want to, by all means do so, if it's just because of the reasons you mentioned above, the transmission isn't really your problem. For one or more reasons your car isn't producing the power it should be if you can't go over 75. Especially downhill.

I did the math, in third gear (1.00) with the stock 3.9 diff, and 21 inch outside diameter tires gives 72 mph at 4500 rpm. I'd have to get it up to 6K+ rpm to hit 100 or slap some 30 inch tires.....

From what I've read I just have to swap the thrust disk for a fly wheel + clutch, change out the pedal box, and hook up the clutch cable? I think you need to snip a wire going to the ECU as well.

You think with this being a FWD I could just pull the tranny out the back without pulling the motor? Only FWD transmission I've ever pulled was on a 86 Honda.

Edited by Ionstorm66