Ultimate Subaru Message Board

back on the wagon!

rrgrr

Finally found a good 4wd wagon, wanted one since I let my first suby go so long ago, always missed that

thing, and it was what started it all...Had to settle for an EA82 car, rarely see a gen 2 around here anymore.

It's an 85 GL  DR and came from out West, so I won't have to fly out there to drive one back here to the rust belt. Pretty clean, too, rebuilt engine, some new parts, +set of studded snow tires on Jackmans,(except the paint is shot)- a good base for my dd/fun car:banana:

Here it isget-attachment.jpg

and my needs list -if any one can help me out:

Headlight, passenger side

parking/corner lens, drivers side

Dome light cover

a decent set of center caps

• Like 2

:banana: Got my BOSS 2" kit installed -was easier than I expected! -only 1 axle came apart & had to replace before test driving.

Looking for some nice steel 15" wheels to redrill, cheap -the 13's look funny now

DSC02832.jpg

Thanks to bratman18 ,& BOSS!! :burnout:

• Like 2

Scraped the remaining clear coat off the top, hood, and sides down to the stripe. It came off in big pieces and flakes with the razor.

I think I might just try to Rattle-can it in flat black primer -down to the stripe, while I touch up the rest of the body and decide whether to have it reshot or just flat black the whole thing...

stripedit.jpg

Also got the rear side windows tinted at probably too dark, -really kind of hurt my fishbowl visibility -Never had this done before -but it does look cool!

fb3824f0-519a-4df6-b1c6-be5a40b54763.jpg

Ha, I see your rusty head lights! She will look much better with the clearer ones. I like the brown color 569 Crest Brown Metallic, same as my 86 3door. That is a pretty clean ride fro something you would find in Indiana. Ironically, I found my 86 3-door in my hometown of Fort Wayne, IN, after i had moved here to wisconsin. IT is one of the cleaner ea82's i have ever head, but yours is much better orginal. 

Ae you keeping the wagon wheels?  If you paint them, paint them white as that would have been their original color with chrome trim rings and center caps.

I got a set of center caps for an ea81 brat that i was hoping to use with 14 legacy steelies (mine is 5 lug) to keep with that 85/86 original liik. If they don't fit on my car, they would look good on yours.

Edited by MilesFox

Miles I was hoping you would notice those lights! I hear there is a support group for brown cars...

I like the wagon wheels (have another set w/snow tires) -but It looks funny to me lifted w/13's -so I am looking for some 14 or 15" wheels to redrill  -unless you have some cheap pugs lying around...

Miles I was hoping you would notice those lights! I hear there is a support group for brown cars...

I like the wagon wheels (have another set w/snow tires) -but It looks funny to me lifted w/13's -so I am looking for some 14 or 15" wheels to redrill  -unless you have some cheap pugs lying around...

The pigs i used to have that could have been sold got stolen out of my garage 2 years ago. I have a pair of front hubs if you want to go the re-drill (the hubs) route.

My dude has a peugeot 505 sw8 wagon that is shagged;he's on the fence about fixing it or junking it. I told him the wheels are worth keepong for subarus, so if he junks it, i'll try to get onto them.

Went to the subaru mine today, here's some of the stuff I found:

DSC02843.jpgGood door, speaker, gas door,roof rack bars, hatch spoiler!, etc., good day!

The pigs i used to have that could have been sold got stolen out of my garage 2 years ago. I have a pair of front hubs if you want to go the re-drill (the hubs) route.

My dude has a peugeot 505 sw8 wagon that is shagged;he's on the fence about fixing it or junking it. I told him the wheels are worth keepong for subarus, so if he junks it, i'll try to get onto them.

I'm trying to avoid drilling hubs -kind of want to be able to run the 13 snows as an option. Like to keep it cheap like toyota steelies, or... ? with much backspace. pugs would be ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the transformation is mostly complete!  Still some kinks to work out -getting that bent wheel doctored up, alignment Friday, then I'll paint the wheels black -but I wanted to go ahead and share this with the USMB -without which none of this would have been possible. Nobody does this around here, in fact this is the first lifted Suby I've seen in real life -and it is frikkin awesome!

liftedtires.jpg

They're 215/65/15's and they don't rub a bit! :banana:  :burnout:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Plastidipping the wheels tonight and tomorrow with primer underneath -report to come. Actually, if this works out, I''m considering doing the hood and top -it's cheaper than paint and seems like it will keep the salt & rust away indefinitely and look better than primer or as good as flat black. I searched for Plastidip on the forums thinking this would be very popular around here, but results were few. Anyone tried this stuff?

Also had a good clock from the JY, but fried it on the install :( Found a good Subaru radio, too and spent a day deciphering the harness splice the PO did -but the presets won't keep and the light is dim, Grrrr.  Searching for threads or tips on EA82 radio hoookups/wiring keys...hint hint

Edited by rrgrr

• 2 weeks later...

The New noisy axle I put in decided to split it's inner boot on the highway puking grease everywhere on the exhaust, making a bunch of smoke and freaking me out. Next morning put another axle in (reman) Also got tie rod ends in from Rock Auto and went ahead and put those in and did a quickie tape measure alignment in the driveway before rushing off to work. 

Everything feels good and solid up front now, straight and quiet, the torque steer problem seems pretty much gone, too. Guess you can't always tell when the tie rods are sloppy by hand.

100 miles of excellent performance later, I think the motor decided to go suicidal...I am just wrecked over this -we were having so much fun!

All the work I've done and that last drive really cemented my love for this car... This is not over...

post-33119-0-12571200-1381688300_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The wagon is back rolling thanks to forum members xbeerd and MilesFox!!  :headbang: Finished the swap yesterday and the motor started right up. Exhaust gaskets were still good and cleaned up intake gaskets were good to go too. Great running motor!   :banana: Had to swap in original (carb) disty & guess initial timing...has good oil pressure and runs cool.

post-33119-0-85526700-1382665763_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well bad luck prevails for this poor machine...Got hit last night by a Volvo SUV -tried to turn left into me :mad:  :mad:  :mad: as I went thru an intersection...got both doors on the drivers side, a ding in the rocker, curbed it on the front right, gauged the tire, don't know about the rim or the suspension parts, got both doors shut, tire held air so I drove it ~60  miles home. The alignment is jacked but it didn't feel too dangerous...

The other driver is taking full responsibility, cop on the scene agreed. Waiting for the insurance to come total my car for whatever...$100. they probably won't see any value in it. :( Certainly will be more in repairs than the car is valued at.

I have a pretty good stack of receipts, but the labor and other expenses don't show...blue book on these is crap. If anyone can advise me on how to get $$ for this thing out of the insurance company, Please Help.

I am keeping this car and getting it fixed despite the universe being seemingly against it. 

post-33119-0-12512100-1383930809_thumb.jpg

that sucks. if you have a set of tires that have full tread put those on it because they count tire tread into there evaluation . if you have a receipt from a newer engine or anything else  that might help. when my old loyale got rear ended the insurance totaled it and i got the choice to keep it and get like 1475 or get rid of it and get 1700 so i kept it. i hope they give you a reasonable amount and sorry to hear about it being smashed. hope you made it out alright though