Jump to content

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

CA emissions on 2002 outback

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frank319



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Owings, MD

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hi,  I had catalytic converter parts replaced on 2002 outback. Mechanic
says my car is configured for CA emissions.  I bought the car from an individual
in VA and I live in MD.  Can I find out from the VIN if this is true?  He says
there are more (4) converter parts than regular emissions, 2 at the front of the
"Y" pipe (each end replaced last year) and 2 between that & resonator just
replaced now.  $1000+ each time.  I can't find any info about these front ones
replaced last year or any solid info about how much the parts & labor should
cost.  They said 2 hrs.  I'm very upset.  This guy I trusted for years but
apparently didn't take good care of it, this past spring told me I was good to
go for long trip but the heads blew up, $4000 to repair in VT and 3 different
mechanics told me it was a mess under there, other issues & services not
done properly, another $1000.  I found new mechanic.  With converter codes this
time but he recommended I take it back to the other guy in case converter was
under warranty.  I didn't know about the CA emissions or that he hadn't really
replaced the normal converter last year.  Thank you so much for your help! With
$6000 in it this year, it has to last me a couple more years!

#2 AdventureSubaru


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 2,038 posts
  • Grand Valley, PA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

There's a writeup around here somewhere on how to do a free vehicle history search. It may give you the answers (If the car came from CA or maybe NY) I also will sometimes look up specific parts on RockAuto. It will specify whether it's CA specific or not. Usually CA and NY are the two that have stricter emissions requirements.


The head gaskets on these motors were generally pretty weak, but it sounds like you've got that covered. As long as the car wasn't overheated when the heads blew and it was repaired correctly, it should last you a while.


My wife has a 2000 Outback. Same motor as yours and she took it to work this morning with 331,000 on the clock.


Sorry to hear that you're sorting out a pile of issues with this car, but if you treat it well, it will last and last.


Also- welcome to the forum! There are answers to any subaru related question with the combined knowledge on here. Half the reason I drive subarus is because i know i can find out how to fix anything by coming here with my questions.

#3 Legacy777



  • Moderator
  • 12,810 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Welcome to the USMB.


If you want to post or PM me your VIN I can look it up in the Subaru parts book and provide you with some info on the car.


I am going to move your thread to the new gen forum.  There's usually more traffic there.

#4 SubieTrav


    USMB Regular

  • Members
  • 140 posts
  • Denver

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

The emission sticker under the hood should say either CA (50 states) or Federal (49 states).  It shouldn't make a differance if the converter is for federal and put on a CA car.  

#5 frank319



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Owings, MD

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thanks all.  I bought the car in 2008 w/ 60k mi.  Guy had all the maint receipts, believe he bought in VA.  Nothing on the carfax.  Mechanic says last year when he replace the Y pipe I guess he got the federal one but said it wouldn't fit till he figured out it was CA emissions and got the right part.  This time he just got the CA part.  Last years part # 44139AE12A, this time it was 44???AB??A I don't remember but the receipt says 313101. First part was 890.42, this part 784.90.  both parts 2 hrs. each labor.  Something seems fishy to me.   Josh, I sent you the VIN via your website link.  Thanks!

#6 frank319



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Owings, MD

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Oh it has 190k now.  In April, I was on a long trip, had this mechanic check it, said it was good, it overheated big time, had to leave it in VT for repair and go back to get it 3 weeks later.  Got both heads, gasket, water pump, timing belt, radiator, some other little stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users