Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD and Speedo question

Recently (yesterday) acquired an 89 GL wagon, turbo with a 4 speed auto, and AWD . Currently have 2 other 89's one being a GL and the other a DL both are manuals with d/r.

Being my 1st experience with a turbo, is the turbo light only come on when you really get on it, or is it supposed to be lit all the time? Also, is there a way to tell if truly is kicked in.

Next question: It appears that all of my gauges work, except for the picture of the car in center of speedo, where it says AWD, that doesn't light up at all, is that an indication that the AWD is not working or does that only light up when it engages the AWD.

And lastly, there is a little lit up word saying POWER next to the shift indicator lights, when I start the vehicle that blinks I believe 16 times.

I know on my wifes 97 impreza, with the 2.2 auto and awd, that the a/t light blinks about that many times and I've been told that is related to the duty c solenoid, and torque bind, which I did away with by just pulling the rear driveline until I can find a place that actually knows what solenoid I'm talking about.

I don't have torque bind issues on this, particular 89 so I don't believe its anything like her 97.

I know its a lot of question in one post, perhaps I should have broken it up into separate posts, so my apologies for that.

You have the 4eat transmission which is essentially the same as the legacy and impreza automatic in function.

The AWD light on the dash is just advertising the feature, as the trans is a full time 4wd true AWD

The turbo light on the dash comes on at boost. Do you have exhaust leaks?

The POWER light blinking 16 times is the tranny's equivalent to a "check engine" light:  It tells you there is a problem, but not what.  There is a truly annoying sequence on your 4EAT to read the code.  (I can't remember offhand...hmmm...my XT FSM says that all you need to do to display the codes is insert the FWD fuse... can't verify at this time.)

Turbo light only comes on when it hits boost. Only way to tell is with a boost gauge. The 4wd light only comes on when you push the button for 4wd and it engages. No clue about the blinking power light.

It is all wheel drive, so there is no button to push.

You have the 4eat transmission which is essentially the same as the legacy and impreza automatic in function.

The AWD light on the dash is just advertising the feature, as the trans is a full time 4wd true AWD

The turbo light on the dash comes on at boost. Do you have exhaust leaks?

When I took it out last night after work and "got on it" going up into the mountains, I managed to get the Tick of Death to go away, and yes now that I can no longer hear that there is a definite exhaust leak, sounds like right up by the exhaust man. As far as the AWD light, it doesn't come on at all and that's kinda why I was suspicious as to whether awd was working or not. I will get some more time to tinker with it I guess when I go camping this weekend. I know I could just jack it up and see if all 4 tires spin.

I guess what i meant to say is the AWD on the dashboard is just part of the overall diagram in the non-lit parts same as the outline of the car display.

I would bet on the exhaust header gaskets-to-head are leaking. I would recommend replacing the studs if they come out with the nut. 

I guess what i meant to say is the AWD on the dashboard is just part of the overall diagram in the non-lit parts same as the outline of the car display.

I would bet on the exhaust header gaskets-to-head are leaking. I would recommend replacing the studs if they come out with the nut. 

Gotcha, that makes sense.

get it on some loose ground and plant it to see if you have AWDrive :P .

Well I'd love to, unfortunately, it developed a problem, began leaking coolant at a much quicker pace than I was comfortable with especially with as far out in the boonies as I was. And then on the way back, it started cutting out and sputtering. As long as I was at an idle it was fine, but it wouldn't accelerate when in gear. Got it towed back into town, battery was dead. Put another battery in it, now it cranks but won't start, I don't hear the fuel pump kick on, and when I remove the fuel filter nothing comes out. So I guess I need to see if there is a fuel pump relay somewhere, preferably with a pic and where its located, gotta start somewhere.

While your finding out how to check other things, locate the 2 green, single-wire connectors located under the steering column and above the lower dash trim panel.  Connect them, turn on the ignition, and listen for the pump cycling every few seconds or so.

So these would be 2 individual wires not currently connected to anything, and connect them to each other? Did I understand that right?