Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a ea82 pass emissions with no cats?

I have a 1990 loyale wagon and I have put on a cherry bomb muffler. It sounds really nice but I would like it just a little louder. I have seen videos with guys with my same car and muffler, put took off the cats. It sounds super mean but I still would like to pass emissions

If the shell of the cat is still on there it'll pass the visual. Whether it'll pass the tailpipe test or not, I dont know.

2 years ago, my EA81 passed with a weber and no cat, but it took 5 tries and finally passed by a very narrow margin. After it passed, i retuned the weber so that it ran better. This year, I need to pass emissions again...so Im searching for an intact cat.

My opinion...keep a cat on it. I felt no increase in performance by removing mine, and its more trouble than its worth to try and pass without it.

right, the preconverter won't matter since it'll be tested when it's warmed up anyway.

spazomatic has a good point - having removed catalytic converters on XT6's and run gutted converters, i never noticed a difference in sound or performance either.  i did notice a difference with larger cat back pipe and straight through mufflers, mostly in better highway mpg's and of course it sounded different.